It has been a long time since I posted an update so here are some recent photos and bits of news.
The family is doing well though we had to deal with some illness recently. E had RSV and passed it on to J and mommy. E is all better and J and Mommy are well on their way to recovery. J had to be admitted to the hospital for a few days because he just wasn't eating. They put him on an IV gave him breathing treatments every few hours. We were blessed that he got over it so quickly, I think we caught it early on. He is still congested and coughs but he sounds much better and acts much happier. Most importantly is that he is eating regularly again.
I ended up taking the other job offer I had so I no longer work for DISH. Now I work for coverstar which makes retractable pool covers. It was started in Utah but they have a plant out here now because a lot of their business is out East. Our plant ships out all the components for a system which include motors, the vinyl covers and long aluminum pieces. The aluminum is for the tracks that allow the cover to retract, the tubes that the cover roles up on, lids to cover the roll-up tube etc.. I am the supervisor for the extrusion line so I have to QC all the orders as they come down the line before we box them up and send them over to shipping. our boxes are usually about 25 feet long and can get pretty heavy. We don't do any extruding of aluminum, we recieve the extrusions from other sources, but we cut a lot of them to custom lengths. There are a lot of different hardware and extrusion pieces to keep track of but I am making some progress and getting to know the different systems a little better. Of course every once in a while I get thrown a curve ball and we have to fill an order that is out of the ordinary. There are currently four workers on the line as we are down to our lean winter numbers and they are all from Mexico so I have been speaking more Spanish than English at work. It is good practice.
I have to say that every time we have a cold or dreary day I am not very sad that I no longer work outside, though on other days it would be nice. I ended up taking the job because of the convenience. It is a 10-15 minute drive where it took about 30 to get to DISH. Also, one of my neighbors that is in our ward works there so we car pool which allows K to have the car on days she needs it. Other than that I do get paid a little more and I like that I am brushing up on my Spanish.
Today I went to my interview at the dental school here. The Dean admissions is working with me to get me into the resident applicant pool which will greatly increase my chances of being accepted this year. It would also save me 80-90 grand in tuition expenses. The only real weakness in my application is the low score in one of the DAT sections. I was planning on retaking the DAT this year. The first time I took time off from work to retake it K went into labor early and we were in the hospital for three weeks. Then the next time I actually set a date to take it but that was right around the time people started getting sick and we were in the hospital yet again. There is still a chance for me to get in without retaking the DAT, especially if I am in the pool of resident applicants. We are hoping it will work out for us to get in this year.
Well that is about it for the news I think... here are the pictures.
The family is doing well though we had to deal with some illness recently. E had RSV and passed it on to J and mommy. E is all better and J and Mommy are well on their way to recovery. J had to be admitted to the hospital for a few days because he just wasn't eating. They put him on an IV gave him breathing treatments every few hours. We were blessed that he got over it so quickly, I think we caught it early on. He is still congested and coughs but he sounds much better and acts much happier. Most importantly is that he is eating regularly again.
I ended up taking the other job offer I had so I no longer work for DISH. Now I work for coverstar which makes retractable pool covers. It was started in Utah but they have a plant out here now because a lot of their business is out East. Our plant ships out all the components for a system which include motors, the vinyl covers and long aluminum pieces. The aluminum is for the tracks that allow the cover to retract, the tubes that the cover roles up on, lids to cover the roll-up tube etc.. I am the supervisor for the extrusion line so I have to QC all the orders as they come down the line before we box them up and send them over to shipping. our boxes are usually about 25 feet long and can get pretty heavy. We don't do any extruding of aluminum, we recieve the extrusions from other sources, but we cut a lot of them to custom lengths. There are a lot of different hardware and extrusion pieces to keep track of but I am making some progress and getting to know the different systems a little better. Of course every once in a while I get thrown a curve ball and we have to fill an order that is out of the ordinary. There are currently four workers on the line as we are down to our lean winter numbers and they are all from Mexico so I have been speaking more Spanish than English at work. It is good practice.
I have to say that every time we have a cold or dreary day I am not very sad that I no longer work outside, though on other days it would be nice. I ended up taking the job because of the convenience. It is a 10-15 minute drive where it took about 30 to get to DISH. Also, one of my neighbors that is in our ward works there so we car pool which allows K to have the car on days she needs it. Other than that I do get paid a little more and I like that I am brushing up on my Spanish.
Today I went to my interview at the dental school here. The Dean admissions is working with me to get me into the resident applicant pool which will greatly increase my chances of being accepted this year. It would also save me 80-90 grand in tuition expenses. The only real weakness in my application is the low score in one of the DAT sections. I was planning on retaking the DAT this year. The first time I took time off from work to retake it K went into labor early and we were in the hospital for three weeks. Then the next time I actually set a date to take it but that was right around the time people started getting sick and we were in the hospital yet again. There is still a chance for me to get in without retaking the DAT, especially if I am in the pool of resident applicants. We are hoping it will work out for us to get in this year.
Well that is about it for the news I think... here are the pictures.





0 comments:
Post a Comment