Thursday, December 02, 2010

T - 2....tonsils

I'm now a "pro" Mamma at dealing with post tonsillectomy children, 2 down.... hopefully no more to go.

Doctors tell you if you're gonna get your tonsils out do it while you are young, like 3 or 4 years young. Kids are SO resilient and they bounce back from this surgery way faster than an older child or adult will.

When we noticed E's tonsils were very large (almost touching) and she snored so bad she would wake her self up at night, we knew those tonsils of hers had to come. The doctors agreed and it seemed to be an easy call to make. The problem with keeping your tonsils is they cause more problems than they fix and you don't really need them any way.

E had her tonsils out at the age of 4. She did GREAT! A few days after she had her tonsils and adenoids taken out (or scorched off rather) you would have never guessed it. She was eating anything and nothing seemed to bother her. Some times the nights were hard but overall it was a great experience (for me, anyway).

They say recovery time for kids is two weeks, this is when they should feel mostly better and by 4-6 they should be back to 100%. Well with E girl it was 5 days she was feeling fine, then at about 10 days she hurt again as the scabs were falling off then she was completely better by 2 weeks. NICE.

J boy had his taken out as well, as you might have guessed. His operation was two weeks ago, from today.

Well, I thought that J boy's experience would be some what similar to E's. I was wrong! Boy was I wrong! He has not been a happy camper AT ALL for two weeks. BUT today......today is better. Today he's been laughing and playing and seems to be SO much better. But man was it rough the first 12-13 days.

He did great going into the center, he was scared at first and kept saying "I don't want to go to sleep, I want to keep my tonsils." but when time came he was happy and playing with all the cool "prizes" they gave him while he waited to "go to sleep".


playing with his cool snake

Watching some cartoons.

"Don't smile J boy" if I say this it gets him to smile every time.
They don't let parents or family be back there when they administer the anesthesia because a lot of times the kids fight it and it can be sad to watch. They wait until they are all the way asleep before they put in the IV which is nice of them! They also don't let you see them right after they wake up, I hear you don't want to any way ;) But once they calm down they'll come get the parents.

E woke up MAD! "I WANT MY MOMMY!" They said she screamed that until they came and got me. J boy was fine, crying a little but okay. When I came back he had stopped crying but started crying when he saw me. It ripped my heart out because it was like his face said "Why did you let them take me and do this to me?!" poor kid.

We stayed at the out patient center for a couple of hours for monitoring and then we were off with 4 different medications and a barf bucket. J boy threw up three times there and once at home and then he felt a lot better. Anesthesia did not settle well on his tummy.

Poor kid did not want to fall asleep at the Hospital because he was afraid they'd take him back there again if he fell asleep. So on the way home he looked like this, he was SO tired.

Awww poor baby boy! His mouth was blue from his two Popsicle he ate right after he woke up, he threw them up of course.
He looks dead in this picture, he was so out of it.
Here's hoping this was my last kid to have this done, knowing my kids I probably won't be that lucky. Here's hoping, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhh poor boy! I'm glad you didn't record him freaking out because of the drugs and than laughing at him...(have you seen that youtube video? It's awful.)

Rachel Holloway said...

that is SO sad! And it makes me totally nervous--we are having a small surgery done on Kaden in a couple weeks, and I am freaked out at how he will be with the anestesia...and recovery...:(