Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fond memories
It's 1am and I can't sleep. This is why I don't like to take naps in the day, I can't fall asleep at night, grrr! Serves me right I guess.
So I'm blogging. So I began checking in on friends/families blogs and I read my sisters blog and read the most funny and gross story you will hear from a newlywed, or any one really. Check it out here titled safe no more. Read it, it's hilarious, then come back to my story. So after reading that fun little story I was reminded of my own fun newlywed story which is some what similar and thought how fun it would be to share it with you all :) And I have nothing else to do. C and I look back on it with fond memories, though at the time I was a little freaked out by it. So here goes.....

When we first got married we lived in a small one bedroom apartment on the main street of Rexburg, Idaho. If you haven't been to Rexburg before it is a small Mormon town with pretty much one main street, called Main Street, believe it or not. It's a college town so people come and go a lot, but it's a fun small town to live in. I some times miss the Burg. Any way, if you have been there or lived there, we lived above what was then called The Bed Place, who knows what's there now. We loved that little apartment of ours, though we lived there only for a short few months. It had it's own little charm about it. It was the oldest building in down town Rexburg and the tallest (which isn't saying much). We were on the top floor on the very corner of the building and there were businesses below our apartment complex. We parked back behind the building in an Alley and had to walk through the old empty ballroom in there to get to our apartment, which was really creepy at night. We had those old furnaces heated by water that were either on or off and nothing in between, so we kept nice and warm in the winter. The stove/oven was kind of neat, it was really old, retro :) The windows, like the rest of the apartment were old and had that glass that made everything look all distorted, they also had no screens on them, keep that in mind as it has to do with this story. Okay so enough with the description and reminiscing on the apartment, I just wanted to give you a feel for what it was like.

We had not been married more than a week or two, literally. I know this because I had not yet known I was pregnant and being that I was pregnant just two weeks after we were married.... so I can safely say it was right at the beginning of our marriage. We were very much newlyweds and still getting used to sharing a bed with one another. One night after being fast asleep for a while. I roll over and kind of woke up. A few seconds later my new hubby says to me "Are you a wake?" I replied yes, then he says "Umm are you afraid of Bats?" me, a little bit scared to ask "I don't know, why?" he then calmly says "because there is one in our bedroom, right now." That's what I was afraid of. After he said that, the bat came swooshing down towards us. I of course quietly freaked out, I don't remember what I said but I pulled the covers over my head and began nervously laughing and telling him to get it out. We laid there for while stunned but laughing at the weirdness of the situation. Eventually my brave husband got up, opened our bedroom door and some how shewed the bat out to our living room/kitchen area then closed our door, hoping it would find it's way out by morning. We had no AC and it was summer, it was hot so we left all our windows open at night to keep the air flowing through our apartment. Unlike the good 'ol Midwest, out West it actually cools off at night enough to not need A/C most of the summer. Since we had no screens on our lovely but old windows the bat just flew right in our room and for some reason couldn't find it's way back out. In the morning I made C go out and check for the bat before I would leave the safe comfort of my bed (though as my sister stated it is safe no more). It was hard to fall asleep that night and I was pretty freaked out, to say the least but it sure does bring back fond memories of that fun small apartment and being newly married. Thanks for sharing your funny story Kim! It brought me back in time.... good times, good times!

Okay, tylenol pm here I come, good night.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No more naps for you. The only creapy thing that your Dad and I had to deal with was ants crawling on the headboard of a cheap hotel we stayed at on our honeymoon, 31 years ago. Otherwise we have just had lots of kids in and out of our bedroom for years and years :) I bet your brother will have some stories to tell when he gets back.
Hope you get some sleep.

Love, MOM

Klingler said...

Haha, a bat, a mouse, what else can you girls dig up? I am gonna have to think about what I had the first little blit of our marriage - oh yeah, Reno's casinos neon lights in our bedroom/closet window with the sound of helicopters flying over on the weekends trying to identify the street racers liscense plates. That about sums it up.

Unknown said...

Ha ha nice story! I hope that bat didn't scratch or bite you! I remember that apt...it was very quaint... At least it wasn't in you in-laws basement! JK!

Breanna said...

I SO remember this happening to you! When you started the story about the apartment the story that instantly flashed in my head was when you set your oven on fire. Oh, how I miss Rexburg... sometimes, mostly the people though!

Bonnie said...

See if I can do this!

Anonymous said...

I just read Kim's story. Bat, mouse, whatever; I don't do creepy, crawly, flying ANYTHING!
(I just got the pee-shivers)