History in the Making!
Did you watch the Olympics last night? Well of course I did. I'm addicted, there goes my house for the next two weeks. I can't pull myself away from them, what is my problem? You may be thinking I'm going to talk more about Gymnastics, not so. As much as I love Gynmastics the mens swiming was AMAZING last night! This is why I love the Olympics, the excitment, the competition, the cheering for my home country, the adrenaline rush. I loved last night.
So here's the story for you poor folks who don't have a T.V. to watch it (kim and tyler). The U.S. mens 4x100m freestyle relay team took the gold! But that's not the exciting part. France was the favorite to win the gold in this event and even the U.S. announcers and the U.S. coaches thought for sure the French would/could take gold. Before the race the French team decided to talk trash saying "The Americans, We are going to smash them. That is what we came here to do." Well la ti da! That is when I was thinking "the u.s. has motivation to smash the french and I sure hope they do." And they DID! Okay so they didn't smash them, but they won it and it was the CLOSEST race I have ever seen. They obliterated the World Record in this event by almost 4 seconds, which in swiming is a lot! The U.S. only won the race by 8 tenths of a second, 8 TENTHS! Smash the U.S. ? I think NOT!
Jason Lezach (spelling?) was the one who swam the closing leg of the relay. When he hit the wall for the returning lap he was one half a second behind the French. A half a second is quit a bit when it comes to swiming. As the last lap came closer and closer to an end, my eyes could not believe what Jason Lezack was doing, he was catching up and fast. If you would have been in my living room with my husband and me you would have thought we were right there watching the race in person. We were going nuts as we are yelling things like "GO, GO GO!" "NO WAY, THEY ARE GOING TO WIN IT, GO GO, YES!" I loved it, I was so into it and I didn't care how silly I looked yelling at the T.V. The last few meters of the race were unbelievable. Jason still behind, picks up the pace. Which I could see him inch by inch gain on the Frech team, who had no idea what they were in for. I couldn't believe it, words cannot describe who AWESOME it was. He hit the wall and instantly I knew they won! (thanks to the tv that tells us which lane was hit first by the sensored walls in the pool) The U.S. team however had to wait a second for it to show on their jumbo screen who touched first and the reaction of Micheal Phelps and teammates when they saw the times was priceless, they did it, they knew it and it was a sweet victory for them. The French on the other hand, not so happy! I was never meant to be an announcer as I was yelling at the French "Take that! In your face Frenchies! Too bad for you!HA! etc." Not so nice of me, but they should have kept their mouths shut and never talked trash about the Americans in the first place. It gave them motivation to prove the French wrong, and they did.
Though all the team members swam their best, I think it was Jason Lezack that brought home the Gold for the team. He may not admit it himself but if you watch that race you will see he did more than his part for that team and it was incredible to watch him perform at his best.
I have watched the replay of it so many times as the news will not stop covering it and I can't get over how cool it really was. And though I was not there and only watching on my television it felt amazing to witness Olympic Hisotry in the making. GO USA!
Some other things that made this whole race go down in history. Not only did they obliterate the world record but only three teams out of the eight did not beat the world record. So 5 teams out of the 8 in the race, surpased the world record time in that one race, the American with the fastest time of course. Now that was a world record in it's self. Also Cullen Jones, the African American teammate, broke a record himself by being the second African American to win a metal in swiming at the Olympic games and the first to win a Gold metal. He achieved his gole in proving if he can do it any one can, "Balck boys can swim too" as he was quoted saying after the race. That was exciting too! Also exciting was that this was to be Micheal Phelps' hardest race to win the gold metal to add to his hopeful eight gold metals. To see the reaction on his face after they defeted the impossible made me rejoice for him. I usually like to root for the underdog but Micheal Phelps is an amazing athelethe and deserves every gold he takes home.
If you missed it last night I'm sorry. It was one of those "Carrie Strug" moments in Olympic History, they will be showing clips of it and talking about it for years to come and I was overjoyed to have witnessed it. Have I said I love the Olympics?!
So here's the story for you poor folks who don't have a T.V. to watch it (kim and tyler). The U.S. mens 4x100m freestyle relay team took the gold! But that's not the exciting part. France was the favorite to win the gold in this event and even the U.S. announcers and the U.S. coaches thought for sure the French would/could take gold. Before the race the French team decided to talk trash saying "The Americans, We are going to smash them. That is what we came here to do." Well la ti da! That is when I was thinking "the u.s. has motivation to smash the french and I sure hope they do." And they DID! Okay so they didn't smash them, but they won it and it was the CLOSEST race I have ever seen. They obliterated the World Record in this event by almost 4 seconds, which in swiming is a lot! The U.S. only won the race by 8 tenths of a second, 8 TENTHS! Smash the U.S. ? I think NOT!
Jason Lezach (spelling?) was the one who swam the closing leg of the relay. When he hit the wall for the returning lap he was one half a second behind the French. A half a second is quit a bit when it comes to swiming. As the last lap came closer and closer to an end, my eyes could not believe what Jason Lezack was doing, he was catching up and fast. If you would have been in my living room with my husband and me you would have thought we were right there watching the race in person. We were going nuts as we are yelling things like "GO, GO GO!" "NO WAY, THEY ARE GOING TO WIN IT, GO GO, YES!" I loved it, I was so into it and I didn't care how silly I looked yelling at the T.V. The last few meters of the race were unbelievable. Jason still behind, picks up the pace. Which I could see him inch by inch gain on the Frech team, who had no idea what they were in for. I couldn't believe it, words cannot describe who AWESOME it was. He hit the wall and instantly I knew they won! (thanks to the tv that tells us which lane was hit first by the sensored walls in the pool) The U.S. team however had to wait a second for it to show on their jumbo screen who touched first and the reaction of Micheal Phelps and teammates when they saw the times was priceless, they did it, they knew it and it was a sweet victory for them. The French on the other hand, not so happy! I was never meant to be an announcer as I was yelling at the French "Take that! In your face Frenchies! Too bad for you!HA! etc." Not so nice of me, but they should have kept their mouths shut and never talked trash about the Americans in the first place. It gave them motivation to prove the French wrong, and they did.
Though all the team members swam their best, I think it was Jason Lezack that brought home the Gold for the team. He may not admit it himself but if you watch that race you will see he did more than his part for that team and it was incredible to watch him perform at his best.
I have watched the replay of it so many times as the news will not stop covering it and I can't get over how cool it really was. And though I was not there and only watching on my television it felt amazing to witness Olympic Hisotry in the making. GO USA!
Some other things that made this whole race go down in history. Not only did they obliterate the world record but only three teams out of the eight did not beat the world record. So 5 teams out of the 8 in the race, surpased the world record time in that one race, the American with the fastest time of course. Now that was a world record in it's self. Also Cullen Jones, the African American teammate, broke a record himself by being the second African American to win a metal in swiming at the Olympic games and the first to win a Gold metal. He achieved his gole in proving if he can do it any one can, "Balck boys can swim too" as he was quoted saying after the race. That was exciting too! Also exciting was that this was to be Micheal Phelps' hardest race to win the gold metal to add to his hopeful eight gold metals. To see the reaction on his face after they defeted the impossible made me rejoice for him. I usually like to root for the underdog but Micheal Phelps is an amazing athelethe and deserves every gold he takes home.
If you missed it last night I'm sorry. It was one of those "Carrie Strug" moments in Olympic History, they will be showing clips of it and talking about it for years to come and I was overjoyed to have witnessed it. Have I said I love the Olympics?!
1 comments:
That is so funny-you posting about the China games...because I have been staying up so late everynight, and watching all day long everyday! I'm so glued to the TV this week! I am actually going to post about my new addiction, that thought it was so funny to you had posted about it too! Yes, I have seen ALL the big moments! My favorites: Men's Gym getting bronze, women's volleyball, and of course all of the men's swimming (That relay!) GO PHELPS!!!
Post a Comment