Friday, December 11, 2009

Flash Back Friday #2 Dating while at College, good times.

I didn't know what to share for my flashback Friday. I was having a really hard time trying to think of some thing to share that would be some what interesting.

I guess I could share my appendix story, but maybe you are sick of hearing about hospital visits, besides it will never compare in awesomeness, as was C's appendix story was pretty awesome.

After much delay in trying to think of a fun flashback this is all I got....This memory will only be fun for those who once attended good 'ol Ricks college or Adrienne, my roommate who was there with me, or Ricky Martin j/k :)

Freshman year of College, Fall '99

My very first roommate and I hit it off from the start. Adrienne showed up at our apartment for the first time wearing pretty much the same out fit I was wearing, shoes and all, and we had a very similar hair cut. We looked at each other and knew at that moment we'd be friends. We ended up sharing a room and the rest is history. Today she is still one of my best friends who I love keeping in touch with. I can't wait to live closer to her so we can visit each other often. She is the reason I was so attracted to Canadians in the first place. She was a cute Canadian girl with a lot of personality and she was just so fun to be around. She used to tell me all the time "You're gonna marry a Canadian some day." I think she was brainwashing me because after that whenever I'd meet a guy at school that was from Canada I had this immediate attraction to them, so C had that going for him from the beginning. All he had to do next was show me his bum and he was set, I was sold :) (read my first flashback if you are confused about that last comment)

Anyway....
The fun memories I have with her are many but there is one I remember in particular.
She ended up dating a guy, Ryan was his name. They hooked it up during one of these two semesters while at Ricks. I liked the guy, I guess. He was fun to hang out with and pretty cute and he seemed to treat her ok.

For those of you who have never been to Ricks College, it is like a Glorified High School at its best. It was so fun though! There were dances all the time, which we'd go to all the time in hopes of meeting cute guys.....high school I tell ya, but it was a fun time! Then they had formal Dances and of course Formal "girls choice" dances because the guys are too lame to ask the girls out so this gave us the opportunity to do the asking.

Adrienne wanted to go to one of the Girls Choice dances with her boyfriend and she wanted me to double with her and go with one of his good friends. I was okay with asking him to go with me because we had hung out in a few group settings together and I thought he was cute, best of all he was a Premie.

Ahhh, ha ha ha, that just made me laugh out loud! The funny terms us Mormons come up with, we have our own little language and it just made me laugh right now. I have not used the word "premie" in so long. A Premie is what guys were called before going on their Momrmon Missions, it stands for "Pre-missionary". Premies were awesome because you did not feel pressure to get married. If you dated a RM (Return Missionary) your odds of getting married at 18 went WAY up, like 90%. I liked the Premies, they were a safe choice for me, I wasn't about to get married at 18 :)

So he was cute, he looked like Ricky Martin but younger and cuter, and he was a premie so I was cool with asking him out.

To be honest with you I have no idea how we asked the guys to go to the Girls choice dance with us. I'm sure it was in a cheesy Mormon creative way but for the life of me, I cannot remember how we did it, but we did. We asked them to go to the dance, "MORP" in some cute way and we waited for their response. Mormons are weird, aren't we, but we sure like to have some good clean fun, right?

Going on....


So it was in the wee hours of the morning when I am suddenly awaken by a guy in my room pulling on my arm to get me out of bed. I was a little freaked out. I looked over next to me and Adrienne was being pulled out of her bed by another guy. He blind folded her and walked her out the door. I couldn't tell who these guys were at first and I was a little freaked out. The guy holding my arm began to pull me out of bed and tried blind fold me. I didn't know who it was until he said something, like "Don't be scared, just come with me." I recognized the voice it was Brandon the guy I asked to the dance.

I'm relieved that it's not some weirdo in my room but at this point I realize I was in a small tank top with no bra on and little athletic shorts, that was it. This is Rexburg Idaho here in the fall, it's cold out at night and I did not want to go with him half naked for more than one reason. Before I'm all the way out of bed I say loudly "Wait! let me get some clothes on first."

The look on his face is forever in my memory, it was priceless. Immediately he turns away and walks out my door. I later realized he thought I was completely naked under my blankets. C'mon really? Girls are not like that, guys may like to sleep in the nude but not us ladies. Either way he was not about to see some girl he hardly knew naked. So out the door he went as fast as he could.

I put on some pants and t-shirt and went to the living room where I saw Adrienne Blind folded in a guys sweatshirt. Ryan was holding her hand and they were waiting for me. Brandon gave me a sweatshirt and blindfolded me and we headed out the door. They piled us in the back of their car and we began driving around what seemed like forever.

They drove us around for a quite while and before coming to a stop I had figured we must have gone out of town by now, since Rexburg really is not that big of a town. Finally I feel the car pull off a narrow road and come to a stop. We stumbled around as they helped us out of the car still blind folded. It was a pretty chilly night and I was glad I decided to change into some pants. I remember being lowered down onto the cold ground next to Adrienne with blankets thrown over us. I felt sand go between my toes (I had only flip flops on) and I knew where we were, the infamous St. Anthony Idaho Sand Dunes. These Dunes are pretty awesome and we had been to them several times already during our Freshman year. There were always groups of people going out there to have bonfires and to just hang out in hopes of finding a cute member of the opposite sex to flirt with. HIGH SCHOOL, I tell ya, gotta love it!

We waited....and waited....We could hear them doing something and I could smell gasoline. After much rustling around and mumbling coming from the guys direction we were finally told we could take off our blind folds. Before I did, I could feel the heat on my face and knew there was a fire. We took off our blind folds and in the sand stretched out on a large space of sand, probably a good 15 yards, in front of us were very large letters Y-E-S all squiggled across the sand in flames.

Awwwww ((sigh)) so cute! OK it was a little cheesy for me but I was 18 and thought it was pretty fun and creative of them. I was impressed by the effort they went to respond in a manly yet creative way.

I'm not quite sure how I felt at the time about having a guy come in my room in the middle of the night and pull me out of bed while I was half naked, but it makes for a fun memory of my first year at Ricks College.

Sometimes I tell people I went on a date with Ricky Martin, cause he kinda looks like him.

Then End!

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Your guys looks SO familiar...

What a funny story. :) Gotta love that Good ol' Ricks spirit, bizarre traditions and all!

Klingler said...

I know your date. Isn't he a Rexburgian? Go Premies!

adrienne said...

Oh, my goodness!! I am at work reading this and I was laughing out loud! Those were fun times. Now the actual dance on the other hand... that was miserable for me. Except that you were there! And we asked them by putting messages inside of peanut M&Ms. Funny, funny!! And when they pulled me out of bed I didn't even react. They told me they were worried that I would have let anyone take me in the middle of the night. And I too was wearing a little tank top with no bra. Not really prepared for that. I have so many fun memories with you from that year!! Love you!