So my friend said we needed to take on a challenge and have this flashback Friday thing on our blogs every week in December or as long as we can do it. I told her I'd give it a shot but I, of course forgot.
The rules were that it had to be a memory of our own from before we were married and had kids, since our blogs right now are mostly about our lives with our husbands and children. She said it might be nice to go back in time before we had them.
So here is my first flashback. I think I'll start with this story of C and me just before we were engaged and move backwards in time with each flashback, does that make sense?
I love this story we have together and the memories it brings to me when we were dating and how hard it makes me laugh every time. here goes.....
Warning: This may be long, I don't know how to make this story shorter, stick with me here it's a good one!
C and I attended BYU-I together. Actually when I first met him I was taking classes but the next year that we dated I came back to Rexburg but just worked full time. We lived right across the street from each other and we were in the same student ward and yes we met the year prior because we were in the same FHE "family", classic!
When we both came back to Rexburg after the summer spent at our parents houses we didn't know if we'd even see each other again, be in the same ward again etc. I was hoping he would be coming back to school there and I was hoping he'd still be in the same apartments because I like the cute Canadian and thought it would be nice if we hooked up when we came back. Later I found out he liked me too and was hoping the same thing. So when we ended up living in the same housing as the year before we pretty much hooked up right away. We never said the official "we're dating" but when we both came back we started hanging out every day and we just knew we were dating. I loved that about us, there was no awkwardness, we both just knew it was right.
About two months of us dating we had a bonding moment and this is when I knew we'd be married one day.....
In October (I believe, but C will correct me if I am wrong) I was planning to attend the Temple for our ward Temple trip. I would be doing just baptisms since I was not yet endowed. I asked C if he was going too but that Friday night he was not feeling well and said he'd probably just sleep in. I was excited to go because I think in the back of my mind I wanted a peaceful place to pray and contemplate this new relationship I had and try and find out if it was what I was hoping it was. It sounds silly now because we had only been dating for a couple of months but I felt strongly I needed to find out if I should persue him more in the "let's take this seriously" kind of way or if it was just another one of my "this is just for fun" relationships. It felt so different with him from the beginning and it kind of scared me but made me excited at the same time. Looking back I felt so mature and "old" at the time and ready to get married, HA! I laugh now at my "feeling so mature", I was so young (22) but I know I was ready.
Going on with the story...
I got up Saturday morning and began to get ready for the temple trip out to the Idaho Falls Temple. I kept getting this nagging feeling not to go. I disregarded it several times because why would the spirit be telling me not to go to the Temple, it was a righteous thing to be doing so I ignored it. As it got closer to leave I could not stop this awful feeling. So I told my roommates to go with out me. I called C to see if he was awake and feeling any better. He sounded awful on the phone as he told me how he was up all night throwing up and had terrible pain in his stomach. I went right over to his apartment which was empty except for him because all his roommates went to the Temple too.
I immediately thought it was food poisoning since we ate the same thing for dinner that night and I felt kind of sick the night before too, but in the morning I felt better. So I ran to the store to buy him some Gatorade to rehydrate him and Activated Black Charcoal (which you can tack in a pill form to help the body absorb or rid itself of the food poisoning or something, all I know is it helps).
After an hour or so of trying to take care of him, he was not feeling any better. Still throwing up, still pain in his stomach. I started getting scared, he looked like he was dying. OK I'm exaggerating a little but he looked terrible and was only getting worse.
Then it was like I knew, I knew what it was. It was that AAHHHH(that was supposed to be the Angelic sounding Aaaahhh) moment of revelation.
Some thing said "Take him to the Hospital it's his appendix." I told him what I thought/knew it was. Being a regular Man and a bit prideful, he was hesitant to let me take him to the ER but then he gave in and let me drive him to good 'ol Madison Memorial Hospital.
The reason I knew this was what it was, was because just a couple years back in '99 my freshman year in College my roommates had to rush me to Madison Memorial for the very same thing, my appendix. For some reason I didn't think of it at first because I was so sure it was food poisoning. At that time of revelation, I knew exactly why I was not supposed to go to the Temple. C was very sick and all his roommates left him without even thinking anything of it. There was no way he could have driven himself to the hospital. So I was to be the one to sacrifice my temple trip to "save him". I was so relieved to know I wasn't crazy and that the spirit did in fact prompt me not to go to the Temple.
I rushed him to the ER. We sit at the check-in desk and as he holds a hospital dish while throwing up he gives his information to the girl/nurse at the desk. She asked what we thought was wrong, what his symptoms were etc. So I tell her I think he has appendicitis. She then watches C throw up again.....OK, I'm trying not to be too gross here but it was pink (from the Gatorade) and black from the Charcoal. The nurse looked at me and said something to the effect of "What did he last have?" I told her I thought it was food poisoning at first and that I gave him activated Black Charcoal. She then nodded and complimented me on my knowledge that that would help with food poisoning.
It was a slow Saturday at the Madison Memorial Hospital ER and so he was taken back pretty quickly. I sat in the waiting room as they wheeled him back, knowing they usually only let family members back there. I know this because they would not let my roommates go back with me when I had my emergency visit for the same thing.
About 10 minutes or so later a nurse comes out and says
"Mrs. Harker, would you like to come back and be with your husband?"
So at this point I am not "Mrs. Harker" but in fact I am still Ms. Weathers. I am not his wife not even engaged to the guy but I pause just a moment and contemplate what to say. I wanted to see him and knew if I told her I was not his wife she might not let me go back. So I jump up and say "Yes, thank you." with a little smirk on my face.
At this point I'm laughing in my head thinking "what have I done." I felt like Sandra Bullock in the movie "While You Were Sleeping" It was kind of fun to pretend to be his wife.
I get back there and the male nurse finishes taking his vitals and leaves the room. I quickly say to C "Ummm so, they think we are married, just so you know. They called me Mrs. Harker and asked if I wanted to see you and I just came back here. If they ask don't tell, OK?" We both laughed about it and let them believe whatever they wanted to.
The Dr. came in what seemed like after not waiting too long in the room. I explained what had gone on the past 12 hours or so with C and tell him that I think it's his appendix. He then confirms my theory and says that it is his appendix and they would get him in to emergency surgery as soon as possible. I get C's parents phone # from him so I could call and tell them what was going on with their Son.
The conversation went some thing like this:
me: Hi is this Celia Cory's Mother?
Celia: Yes
me: This is K I am C's girl friend. I'm just calling to let you know he's here in the Hospital. We found out he has appendicitis and he should be going into surgery in the next hour or so. I thought maybe you'd like to know what was going on. I can call you when he gets out and let you know how it all goes.
I don't remember her exact response but she was very nice and grateful to me that I was able to take him to the Hospital and be with him since she could not be there.
About an hour later they tell us they are ready to take him back to surgery. They had already started his IV earlier and gave him medicine to help with pain. He was a little out of it from the meds so I'm not even sure he knew I was still there. As they wheeled his bed down the hall I followed until we came to the restricted area. I held his hand and he looked at me. The last thing I said was "I'm going to go get some lunch and then I'll come back and wait in your room until you are out of surgery." He smiled and then they wheeled him behind the doors. I felt like I should say "I love you" cause that is what you should say when some one goes off to surgery especially if it's a family member and all the nurses thought we were married. We had not yet said those words to each other and I regretted not saying, not only to keep fooling the nurses into thinking we were married but also because I really thought "I love him". awww ((Sigh))
I went and grabbed some lunch "Mill Hallow" to be exact YUM! I love their sandwiches! I went back to where they told me his recovery room would be and I waited for a while. They wheeled him in all out of it still, he was not fully awake from being put under.
Are you still with me? OK good cause here is the best part of this story....
So the huge male nurse comes in to check his IV and meds and what not and take his vitals. I am sitting next to C's bed in a chair. The nurse is on the other side of him asking him to take deep breaths in and out. C would take one and breath out and Oh my goodness did his breath reek! I had to turn away. Then C would start to fall back asleep. The nurse would tell him to wake up and start breathing deep again. I finally stepped to the end of the bed where they had a chair placed facing the foot of his bed, I couldn't take the smell of stale puke breath any more.
The nurse and C go at this for a while, trying to get him to come out of it. C had on only the hospital gown and the bed sheets were no longer across his legs but down at the end of the bed. I think the nurse took them off so he'd wake up. As the nurse is trying to get him to come out of it C keeps lifting his legs, bending his knees exposing himself a little more each time. Remember I am sitting right at the foot of his bed, and remember this nurse thinks I am his wife. I am keeping my eyes up and not looking at the dark spot between his legs, but C keeps exposing himself more and more as he squirmed more and more in his bed and as he lifted his legs higher and higher. He's obviously not doing it on purpose, he was still so out of it. But if I acted all "scared" about it the nurse would wonder what's wrong with me, I was married to the guy, nothing I shouldn't have seen already right? So I sat there at the end of the bed gazing off to the side trying not to look at C's, well ehm, crotch all the while I am and trying to be discrete about it.
We laugh so hard about it now, it's such a good story to retell.
It doesn't end there....
He finally comes out of it more and starts talking to me, noticing I'm there. He was HILARIOUS to say the least as he was coming out of it. The first thing he said to me was "Did you go and get some lunch?" I told him yes that I went to our favorite place for a sandwich. I can't remember all he said or what he was doing that was so funny. I just remember him asking me the same three or four questions over and over. I would smile every time and tell him the same answers. He would ask in this cute little voice like he was so concerned about me, I had not ever seen this side of him before and it was funny to me. Finally he said to me "Have I already asked you these things?" Yes, like three times! It was funny.
I remember him being more with it when the nurse came back in to give him some shot, I don't know what it was for. I remember getting this shot too after I came out of surgery. I'm sitting right next to C and the nurse comes in and tells him he has to have this shot. He tells C to roll to his side and then he immediately flips open C's gown and begins giving him the shot right in his bum. I am sitting right there on the same side as the nurse and have full view of C's rear end! This time I could not act cool. I looked at his little butt, smiled got up and walked to the other side of the room and faced the other way. I think the nurse began to catch on about us but they never said anything.
So yes, I saw my hubby's crotch and butt all before we were even engaged let alone married :)
C always says I must have really been in love with him to continue the relationship after seeing all that! HA, it's true.
I stayed the day with him and ended up falling asleep on the pull out bed that night. So yes, I spent the night with him too, oooOOooo. Don't worry! The nurses came and went every hour through the night or so it seemed so we were supervised the whole time.
It was such a bonding moment for us. Such good times, good memories :)
Me seeing him in pain, racing him off to the ER, then wheeling him off to surgery knowing at that moment that I loved him, then getting a nice crotch shot as he was coming out of it and to top it all off I got to see his cute little bum. What's not tender about all that?
The End!
7 comments:
okay that was AWESOME! i was cracking up here. i love how you keep saying "cute little bum!" that was a great story and i'm glad it all worked out so well. good for you for listening to the prompting to not go to the temple.
you two make such a great couple!
Good story-Glad you wrote it down. I would've died at the sight of the bum!!! Too funny.
Ha,ha! I never new of this story. It's a good one!
Hahahaha! Awesome- we really know you only decided to marry him after seeing what he would bring to the relationship-hahaha, ya know, the goods.
What a great stoy!
I have heard this story before but I still laughed out loud more than once at your rendition. You may not want to tell your kids this story until they are a little older! In C's version did he pray for a way for you to fall in love with him? Answers to prayers can come in strange ways ;)
Oh, so romantic! Ken and I laughed pretty dang hard at it all! Thanks for the good flashback! Oh - you look so cute.
Kanani
I'm surprised you didn't hear about this. You must have been slacking on the "checks" that night cause I never came home. I swear I told you this but I do believe you were pregnant with Owen at the time, that might be why you don't remember.
Post a Comment