I grew up in what would now be considered a large family, back then it was close to an average sized family (okay in the Mormon community it was average :). I have five sisters and one brother. I'll do the math for ya that is 7 kids in my family total. In today's standards as far as families go that is LARGE, even in the Mormon world :) I have to say I love that I have a large family, it makes for some fun/crazy/interesting/wild/fun fun family get-togethers.
Once a year (During the Holidays/Christmas) we get together as a family and that is when my kids get to be with all their Aunties and Uncle. The kids love being at my folks house when everyone is there. They beg for weeks and even months (J boy is still asking to go to G-ma and papa's house) after Christmas to go back to my Parents house.
They love it there so much because they have been the only grand kids (for now) there. So of course you can imagine how much attention they would get not only from G-Ma and Papa but from my 6 other siblings (and now recently two uncles, my bro-in-laws). That is TEN people to entertain them! TEN! (excluding C and I because we're their parents and we're lame, when everyone else is around :)
Over the years of my two oldest kids, E and J boy, I have realized the interesting roles my sisters and brother play in my kids' lives. I've noticed they have certain definitions and rolls they give to each of my siblings and my siblings unconsciously fulfill their rolls with out knowing that it is their role or even how my kids define them (Except for Angela, she knows dang well what her roll is and how to fulfill it :).
I was having a discussion with E not long after Christmas break as she was missing my family, we were talking about what she liked about each of my siblings and Grandma and Papa. It was funny to realize that she had a different relationship with each of them and she can pretty much pin point what it is she loves about each individual and I've realized J boy feels the same way too.
So here it is.......
My siblings as defined by my Children.....
they are crazy! Why wouldn't my kids love these guys?


(I'll go in age order, oldest to youngest)
Older sisters:
Wendy- She fulfills her role well as the eldest, not only sibling but Auntie. E and J have a noticeable respect for her, almost like a second mother in that way. She is defined in their minds as The Crafty Aunt. She is always making them fun things, doing crafts and projects with them. At Christmas she helped whip up a puppet show stage, (which we never fully enjoyed ops) snow flakes, yarn dolls, finger painting and I'm sure there was more fun crafty projects she helped them with. She has most years made my kids gifts and they always love them. When E thinks of a craft she'll instantly find Wendy to help her with it. She is a school teacher which plays a part in why my kids go to her to learn in fun ways.



Angela- Well, for some reason Angela got the coveted role of Favorite Auntie. We are not sure how exactly she came to take on that role. Maybe it is because she lived with us for three months, or maybe because she tries hard to maintain that role by spoiling them rotten going against anything I would do for them or let them do, yep that will win you the role of Favorite Auntie. In all Honesty though, if any of you know Angela she is probably the funnest person you know. Everyone wants to be Angela's friend, so its no wonder my kids can sense that and deemed her Favorite Auntie.
Younger siblings:

hmm after going through all my pictures of Kim and Tyler I'm starting to wonder how my children came to deem them as so cool?? Allie-She's not going to like this one, but she is deemed The Silly Auntie, which in years will turn into Crazy Aunt Allie. Everyone has a crazy Aunt, Allie you're it! If my kids are in a silly mood they know who will join right in and will find their silly Auntie Allie. If you know Allison you know this is so fitting for her personality, she is just that: A lot silly and a little crazy, or maybe it's the other way around? What kid doesn't want a silly/crazy Auntie?

David- He's lucky he's the only uncle they have in my family and he can fulfill his role pretty easily by being the Cool and Fun Uncle. He's not too loud or wild (as he is drowned out by his many many sisters) but he's not so shy that he won't go out and have fun with the kiddos and they love that about him. He's just Uncle David! He plays the guitar and the piano, he sings, he bounces them high on the trampoline, he's their uncle!

Whitney (and her husband Joey)-With Joey recently joining the family I'm not sure how they define him but I do know how they define Whitney so Joey's role will probably be similar. Whitney is deemed The Fun Auntie. Fun because for E at least, it has almost been like having a cool older sister who is fun to be around. When ever we go to my Folks house Whitney was always there because she was still living at home going to High School and so it was always fun to pull up to Grandma and Papa's house and know they had an Auntie ready and willing to play with them. She would always take them with her when she went babysitting and my kids always thought that was so fun to do with Auntie Whitney. She's just so FUN and I can see Joey being that way with them too.


There it is, my siblings the way my kids see them.
Now, before any of my siblings gets offended, I'm not saying that Allie can't be crafty or fun and that she is only crazy. OR I'm not saying that Whitney can't be cool or crazy and that she is only fun :) All I'm saying is that when the kids try to define what they love about each of you, this is what we have come up with. They are all good things in the kids' eyes, they just love to be around all of you.
I will say though, that Ange has pretty much claimed rights to Favorite, sorry. She spoils them so rotten that it is irreversible. She is and will forever be the Favorite, BUT that doesn't mean they don't love you all so much.
I LOVE that my kids are so close to all my siblings, I love it!


3 comments:
Haha nice. I like all the thoughts. And I just realized that I need more pictures with your kidos because those are old ones.
Very fun post! Please come visit me in Texas...PLEASE! :)
SO, SO, SO much fun that your kiddos are close to your siblings. I love seeing that...it makes me so happy!
Post a Comment