Monday, November 28, 2011

E's thoughts on Christmas

I want to remember this so I'm writing it down here......

In the car E talking to her brother J boy:

E: Do you know what my favorite Holiday is J?

J: uhhh is it thanks giving? (or some other random holiday, I don't know what he said to be honest)

E: NO! Christmas! Do you know why it's my favorite Holiday?

J: Uuuhh because we have snow outside and we get to go out and play in it? (This kid cracks me up!)

E: NO!

Here is where I held my breath and waited for her response, thinking it would be something about Santa bringing presents or getting lots of gifts, but hoping she would say something about the meaning of Christmas too.

E's response: Because Christmas is a Holiday with real meaning. It's about a real person, Jesus. It's about his birth. And I like that we have a day we can celebrate Jesus.

I almost teared up. I was SO proud. Not once did she bring up Santa or even gifts! What a sweet girl.

Then J said "AND we get presents!" Of course he would :) He's learning though.

E then said to J "But it's not just about getting presents, Santa is the fun part of Christmas and some people don't believe in him but I still do even though I know Santa is the "fun" part of Christmas."

I then went on to tell her that St. Nicolas was a real person at one time and he believed in Jesus Christ and wanted to help others like Jesus taught. I told her it's okay to believe in a real person and that Santa can be a part of Christmas too but that she is right, that Christmas is more about Jesus.

I remember worrying about what to do with the whole Santa thing a couple years back. I remember not wanting to yank it out of Christmas traditions completely but wanting to focus this Holiday mostly on Christ. I guess I felt like lots of kids these days expect HUGE presents or tons of little ones and are disappointed when they don't get what they want. I remember thinking, I don't want my kids to be like that, to be "entitled" as we the future generations are starting to be. I didn't want them to care about all the gifts that they get so much as they care about what this holiday is about. Of course all kids are excited to get presents on Christmas morning but I want them to know that it's okay if it's nothing fancy or huge (whether or not we can afford a big Christmas or not) it's okay to keep Christmas simple and still get fun, exciting presents because Christmas is about, as she put it her self "A real person, Jesus". I was also thinking about how some people play up the whole Santa thing so much and try to have their kids believe in him for as long as possible and that's fine, I don't think it's a bad thing but I do feel bad for the kids that some day they will be totally disappointing that he is not real. I think E will be okay with it and she won't be devastated, especially after that little conversation I heard, and that's good, I'm glad it won't rip her heart out :)

She is getting to be such a big girl with a sweet tender heart. I was so proud and I knew at that moment that I did something right, and that feels good as a Mom.

I love how she kind of knows Santa is not real but that she wants to still believe so she can have a little fun at Christmas. It's the perfect combination of Christmas Tradition, I think. With a lot about Christ and a little fun with Santa.

I was a proud Mom! Now we gotta work on that J boy, he's learning slowly.

3 comments:

Trevor and Holly said...

So sweet. I love it!!

Clinton and Jessica said...

What a sweet girl you are raising. You are such a good mom!

Rachel Holloway said...

We definitely share the same view point on Santa. I don't think Santa is even leaving anything other than the stocking stuff this year. Just moving away from it being so much about him...and more about Christ. AND I LOVE it! :)What a sweet, sweet girl you have!