Thursday, September 24, 2009

Forever ingrained in my memory

I was remembering this certain moment that I have locked in my memory, the other day. It's one of those eye openers, where you see the exact personality come out in your child, one of those memories that is ingrained in your head forever. But I thought, what if I do some how forget this, I want to write it down so I won't ever forget.

E is a people person, she always has been. She was never, NEVER a momma's girl. I wished so bad that some day she'd miss me when I went off to work, but no, she was more excited to play with the babysitters kids, every time.
She LOVED complete strangers if they'd give her the time of day. She discovered herself in the mirror at a pretty young age. I would catch her "practicing" her faces in the mirror, she'd do every face from pretty and cute to mad and "feel sorry for me" faces it was pretty funny to watch that girl enjoy looking at herself. At the age of 18 months she was flirting with the bag boy at the local grocery store that she had a crush on, yep that is E for ya!
One trait that she has developed over the years is her sense of humor. Now I think all kids love to be funny, but E takes it to the extreme! She absolutely LOVES to make people laugh but more noticeably by the age of three she loved to make her peers laugh. If she found that she was doing something funny and it made kids laugh, she'd do it a hundred times just so she could get that "laugh" over and over from the kids. She is such a jokester and if she hears a good joke she tries to repeat it over and over so she can remember it and tell it again and make people laugh. She is the Queen of silly faces and goofiness, she is a typical class clown always wanting to make others laugh, always wanting attention on her. SCARY I KNOW!



At three years old I put her in preschool with a friend and neighbor kid. We would carpool and take turns each day/week driving the kids.

One day I showed up early to get her and I sat by her room and watched as they finished up their day. There was a birthday kid and so the snack was cupcakes, store bought of course because they don't trust us Mom's any more to bring in home made, sad I know. So on these store bought cupcakes had that perfectly piped huge amount of frosting on top.

Their routine for snack time was that no one could touch the "snack" until everyone had been served and not until they said a little prayer of grace that was cute and rhymed, then they could dig in.

Well on this cupcake day I watched E get served in the first table. So, she is laughing and talking with her friends trying hard to keep the attention on her. She is making faces at them and doing everything she can to keep her crowed laughing. I am watching her closely to see her next move because I know this girl so well, I knew exactly what she was thinking......

"how can I get this table of kids to really laugh at me?"

I saw her grasp her cupcake with both hands look around the room at the teachers (knowing she is not supposed to touch her food until they are done saying grace) look at the table of kids giving her attention, look down at the frosting topped cupcake and I KNOW she was thinking, "I have to do this, this will kill them with laughter."

She then quickly takes the cupcake and smashes it into her nose making the silliest face she can while doing it, getting frosting all over her nose. And it worked! The kids roared with laughter, other tables joined in too and E could not have been more happy with her self she could not have been more in her place as class clown than she was at that moment. Of course she got "in trouble" by the teachers but it was worth it to her!

I sat out in the hall laughing until I cried almost because, I knew it! I knew what she was thinking. Then the laughing stopped and the worrying set in....

Oh no, is this going to be her school career of being the class clown and not caring if she gets in trouble? Is she going to enjoy being silly more than she will enjoy learning? Will her grades suffer because of her need to be the center of attention? The fears kept coming. It was not as funny any more to me.

Like I said before, I have the memory ingrained in my head forever and it still haunts me. I still get a kick out of it but I still wonder if that was sign of things to come.

(ha ha, this is a perfect example of her silliness)

Well as far as I can tell, she is enjoying learning SO MUCH in kindergarten this year. She has not yet "been in trouble" and seems to have respect for her teachers. She still talks about her friends at school and how they are "silly" which means she does things to make them laugh. But I think so far I have had my fears a little bit eased as I see her doing so good in K-G so far.

So there it is, there is my story of my silly E girl, one that I will now, never forget.

1 comments:

Klingler said...

Haha - I loved your tribute to E and her silliness. She is totally the going to be miss little popular and have tons of guys wanting to date her. You are in so much trouble but it seems like it will be a fun ride. It's awesome that she like school. Good luck!