Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mommy I love to do chores!! Music to my ears!

E came up to me a week or so ago and said "Mom, I LOVE doing chores can I make a chore chart, pleeease?!"
Well when your child expresses "love" for anything but themselves you jump on the opportunity to teach them.

I have for years now given E and J assignments or chores.

Her chores started out with things like: helping me throw away garbage in the trash can, cleaning up toys, clearing your place after meals by putting your plate etc. in the sink.....you know the basics. J can also do these basic chores as well at his age.

We expect it from them but have not really "enforced" them all, all of the time.

Now E's chores have slowly progressed to more difficult ones as she has gotten older. She can help load the dishes, do laundry, sweep, mop, vacuum, wipe off surfaces, windows etc. and J tries to help with these too, but his attention span gets the best of him much of the time, but he tries.

Again I never set up a chart and enforced them but would randomly through out the day ask for help with certain chores and she would usually gladly come and help me. I do this with both kids and they both will help when asked but that was really the end of it.

Like I said before when my slightly self- centered girl expressed "love" for chores and a chart, I jumped on the chance to teach her more about responsibility. We also are throwing in "allowance" to help motivate her to be apart of this family and help out, which also gives us the opportunity to teach her in more depth about tithing and it's importance.

Today was her last day of the week, where she can earn her allowance. She gets five pennies for every chore(we prepared on a chart certain 'big' chore she can do) she does through out the week, though if she keeps up this chore thing, like she has this week, I might have to bring it down a little :) She went crazy this week!

The catch is.....(there always is a catch) she has to behave through out the week and when she doesn't obey our house hold rules, Me or Daddy can take part of her allowance away for every time she breaks a rule.

This is going to be good. We really didn't "crack" down and the taking allowance away, because I wanted her to see when she does chores it "pays". But We now have it in writing the rules and if they are broken you bet we'll take her hard earned money away!

She is so excited about it, even after a week of doing this she still says "Can I do some chores now mommy?"

SURE, ANY TIME YOU WANT!

I actually did do this chore chart thing months ago and she was excited for like two days about it and then it wore off, so I think this earning $$$ for it has helped keep her excited about. I hope it lasts!

Singing while she works!
This girl loves to sing and has tons of new songs every day she comes home from K-G.
Lots of Laundry
Doing her favorite part, checking off her chore

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom and Dad should have done that with us! I might have been more willing ;)
Tyler says E can come clean our place and we'll pay her six pennies!