Monday, February 28, 2011

A February to Remember

This February of 2011 has been one for the books! It has been kind of crazy as far as weather goes.

We started off the month with the lovely ice storm where we had half an inch of ice on EVERYTHING, causing the schools to be closed for 3-4 days. That was fun.


Then the next week consisted of inches of snow piled on top of the nice ice rink we had around town, more fun!


Then less than two weeks after our crazy ice storm we had a few days of NICE weather. I'm talking 67 degrees one day, nice! That nice weather lasted for 2 to 3 days and it was a welcomed teaser.

Then I believe there was a little bit more snow and then quite a bit of rain

And then to finish off February, last night we got this.......
No I did not take this picture,Picture courtesy of Google pics

Okay so there wasn't a tornado, well at least not that big. But there was a possible tornado sighting not too far from us. It was a little close for comfort, I'll tell ya that.

It's official people, tornado season has arrived early this year!

Last night we had an amazing thunder/lighting storm. C said as we were laying down for bed "I would totally love this kind of storm if we didn't have kids!" Ha ha so true, instead of enjoying it we panic and pray it won't wake up the kids. But of course it woke the kids up (except J boy who apparently sleeps like the dead) really just our girls woke up. They are a little bit more "drama" if you will, or maybe they are just normal little kids who get frightened when lightening sounds like it's striking your house!

E was so scared I had to take her down stairs to sleep on the floor (I refuse to let kids sleep in my bed!) because the rain/wind was so loud in her bed. She's on the top of a bunk bed and it is quite a bit louder up there because she is closer to the ceiling/roof where all the action is. So I slept on the couch while she laid on the floor. We both eventually drifted off to sleep probably around 1:30-ish.

At a quarter to three I wake up to C running down the stairs flinging the closet door open (the one under the stairs) and he begins to chuck the junk we have stored under there ( guess it's time to clean our our tornado shelter), out into the kitchen and living room.

Me, a little annoyed: What is going on?! What are you doing, we just fell asleep!
C: didn't you hear the tornado sirens going off? turn on the TV, There was a tornado spotted just miles from here!
Me: What?! No I didn't hear them.

Que: K panicking (just a little)

C heard the sirens go off so he turned on the T.V. in our room upstairs to see what it was for. Around here when there is any kind of "Warning" not "watch" but warning they sound the tornado sirens. So some times it means just sever thunder storms or flooding or whatnot. So he had to see if it was something we should worry about or something to ignore. So when he saw the size of the storm and where it was headed that's when he came running down the stairs.

When I turned the T.V. the first thing I heard the weather man say was this "If you live in the ____ side of the city, now is the time to take cover." (you guessed it, it was my side of the city) So naturally I begin to panic a bit.

So, C then continued to clean out the junk to make a place on the floor for the kids to lie down on.

I raced up stairs and got the other two kids out of their beds and down stairs. I made the baby a bottle and then shoved myself and all three kids in our "shelter" under the stairs. C then climbed in and stayed by the door to listen to the T.V. to see when it was okay to come out.

So, we had an exciting adventure last night, to say the least. The kids eventually fell back asleep after all the excitement/storm calmed down but it did take them a while to calm down enough to fall asleep.

We will be taking naps today!

We were all safe and that is all that matters. The best part of this fun "in the middle of the night adventure" was watching my amazing husband take action to protect his family, I must admit I fell in love with him all over again watching him care so much for his families safety.

Tornadoes usually mean warmer weather is coming so that is a plus to this season. I'm so ready for better temperatures, lets just calm down with the tornadoes a bit though.




7 comments:

khepworth said...

Crazy tornado story! We experienced the sirens a couple of times while living in St. Louis. It can be scary. Puts things into perspective.

Kristin said...

I am so mad I missed the sirens! I think they're kind of deliciously creepy and whenever they test them I'm disappointed it's not real. I'm sure I'll change my mind if I'm ever actually affected by a tornado, but for now it's all fun and games.

I can't believe we were sound asleep while you guys were camped out in the closet! We're definitely going to blow away if a tornado ever does hit. What a crazy night you guys had.

P.S. Love the new header.

Jami said...

I do have to say that I don't miss those crazy storms! It sounds like you guys have really gotten hit this year. I don't remember it being that bad while we were there! You guys will be done soon! Do you know where your going?

Wendy said...

Wow! You guys had a crazy night. Glad you are all safe and sound. Come here--today it's been 10 years since the last big earthquake. I'm sure we are due for another one soon.

Rachel Holloway said...

craaaaaazy! Man, mother nature has sure played some insane tricks this year! lol

Hoping March is much more calm, AND WARM!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Cory for taking care of your family. Grandpa (Papa) appreciates it!

adrienne said...

Wow! Scary! Macartney is currently very scared of tornadoes, for no real reason, so that would probably be a little traumatic for her. Right now, I just tell her that it's winter and tornadoes don't happen in winter here. I'm in trouble come summer...