This was one of the best weekends of our lives here at the Harker home. This weekend was C's Graduation from Indiana University School of Dentistry. The only other things that top this momentous event would be Our Wedding and the Births of Our Children, of course!
It was pretty exciting to say the least. This has been a long time coming for C, he has worked hard for the eight years we've been married and the few before that to get to where he is at today. I am extremely proud of this man, who is not only my husband but my best friend. I'm proud of him and all he has accomplished, not only in his schooling but in all aspects of life. He is someone I truly respect and look up to. I love him so much.
I am so grateful for this journey we went through together. I'm grateful for this time in our life we had to grow together, to learn together, to rely on each other and to trust God together as we went through the good, the bad, the hard and the wonderful times that this journey has brought us through.
I won't go into much detail about the actual graduation (and I will post pictures of his big day soon, I promise) except that it was slightly boring at parts, but mostly exciting. I will say this though, that I was surprised at how informal it ended up being and how rude and inconsiderate some people can be, but in the end that didn't matter much, all that mattered was that this was his big day!
As Pomp and Circumstance came on over the loud speakers and the Audience rose to their feet a wave of emotion came over me so strong. I watched as the Graduates walked down the center isle and as I recognized a few faces and then saw my own Husband all dressed up (like a clown, he'd say) handsome in his robe and cap I couldn't hold back the tears. I didn't weep, they didn't role down my face uncontrollably, but rather my heart raced with happiness and my eyes filled with tears, they were tears of joy.
A couple people said to me, to give me validation for my emotional response, saying something like "You've been through a lot, it's okay you cried, it's been a long four years." or "You were just so happy that it is all over, it's okay you cried over that." But as I looked back on those emotional feelings that came over me at that moment, it was not those things that brought tears to my eyes. It was more a pure joy for my husband. I was "a proud momma", in a way. I think it was also that I knew he deserved this. I knew and saw first hand how hard he worked to get to this point and it overwhelmed me with joy and love for him. I kept saying in my head "You did it babe, YOU did this!" I know in a small way I played a role by supporting him etc. etc. I don't down play my role at all, but the joy at that moment was more for him, for his success, this day was for HIM! And that made me happy, that made me cry.
I composed myself quickly with a quick wipe of the few tears I had, and then I nervously watched the whole ceremony (stepping off to the side to try and get pictures) and the whole time I had that butterfly feeling of nervousness and joy for C.
Oh, it was a great day! Such a wonderful thing we got to celebrate. I can't say it enough and I'm sure it's annoying you by now but I don't care.....I'm so proud of my husband!
We'll officially close this chapter of our lives this summer and move on to the next (we're hoping some where in the NW of the Country). I'm slightly scared but mostly excited to start this new chapter in our lives. Until that days comes though, I'm going to enjoy where I/We are at now because soon it will be gone and we won't have it back. So I'm taking it all in now, while it's here and I'm looking forward to our future, with hope and excitement (which is so close I can taste it).
I did NOT want to take three kids to the ceremony by myself! It just wasn't going to happen, sorry. So I got a babysitter for all three and went by myself. BUT we did want family pictures with the handsome graduate so I made him dress up before and got the kids prettied and we took a few quick pictures out front of our place with Daddy.
6 comments:
I think that would be great if you ended up in the NW...how about corvallis OR???
Congratulations!!!!! That is so exciting!!! Also, I love your dress! I have the same one. :) I also LOVED you in your fancy emerald dress. SO GORGEOUS!!!! Your eyes stand out so much when you wear green. So pretty!! Can't wait to hear where you guys end up settling.
K, you and C have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. Each of you. Very wise to soak in and enjoy all of your remaining time there in Indy. But, because of your gifts, talents and wisdom gained over many years, you will form new and just as wonderful memories as you move on to the next phase of your lives--we are crossing our fingers that it will be nearby:)
Dad
I can so relate to your feelings. What an awesome time in your lives. ANd might I just say, that it takes one hell of a wife to stand by her man and get through those school years. Especially with kids in the mix.
The first day of school for Kurt was a lecture on how most of them would be divorced by the time they graduated and how if you plan to get married during school-Don't.
We made it. You made it. It's an "I'm on top of the world feeling." Double High Five's From me!
Seroiusly SO happy for you guys! I totally get that PROUD feeling--it's SO real, and such an overwhelming joy! Can't wait to hear where the next chapter will take you! :)
This post is beautifully written, perfectly expressed. I know what you mean ;)
Post a Comment