Thursday, October 18, 2007

My Bi-Lingual Children

E says to me the other day "Mom I know Spanish" and I said "You do? What do you know how to say in spanish?" and she told me she knew how to say stop, go, and go a head. A little back round on why she chose those words: in the car when we drive she likes to look at the stop lights and tell me when it turns green yellow or red. Well in preschool they taught them how to stop what they were doing by making it a game with red light green light. So now she'll say "red means stop mommy" or "green means go" and then she asked me what yellow meant and since I have a tendency to race through yellow lights I told her it meant go a head :)

So going back to my story she says she knows how to say these three phrases in Spanish so I ask "how do you say stop?" and to my surprise she makes up a "spanish" word she says "Guta!" and trying not to laugh I say "how do you say go in Spanish" and she made up another wonderful word "Mala" she says. I say "how do you say go a head?" and she makes up yet another word which I don't remember it sounded like her "mala" word but slightly different. I asked her where she learned these and she told me she just knew Spanish, what a smart girl right? She just knows :)When C got home I told E to tell her Daddy that she knows Spanish and she shared her knew found words with him (keep in mind C knows Spanish) he thought it was pretty funny, and lucky for her they don't mean any thing at all in spanish. I was afraid they'd end up being some nasty words in Spanish luckily not! What a silly girl.

My cute little J is learning a new language too. I have been trying to teach him baby sign language. He gets frustrated at times when I don't know what he wants and I decided I'd give it a try. I didn't do it with E at all because she was so eager to talk and so she learned words and communicating that way at a young age. So this was all knew to me. He does well with it when I'm consistant, that's my problem though I forget to keep at it. But he is so cute when he does do it. He knows quite a few words in baby sign but he does his own interpretations of them but I'm still so proud of him though, I honestly didn't think he'd catch on as quick but he has. So far he knows "more", "all done", "drink", "eat", "eggs" (he loves eggs!) , he did "apple" and "banana" once but hasn't done them since, then obviously "bye bye" (most babies know that one), he's learning right now "please" and "thankyou" and "hot" and he blows kisses which is really cute I love it! I'm sure there are more but I can't remember all of them. E now loves to learn signlanguage and help mommy teach J how to do it. There is a show on Saturday mornings that is called "Signing time with Alex and Liah" some of you may have seen it before, it's a cute show. E loves that show and learns to do sign language from there, she's a smart girl. I know I'm just bragging about kids but I get so proud when I see them accomplish things, every mother has the right to brag about their kids right?
So that is my story of my two Bi-Lingual Children.

E showing J how to sign "more" he already knew that one but we were trying to get him to do it for the camera. Look at that face of concentration, and E's lips are saying moooore, it cracks me up.
Here is his way of signing "drink" and he usually does this while spitting into this hand, it's pretty funny. I used to sign "drink" to him while making the slurping sound so now he does his spit thing every time he wants a drink.
This is his "all done". It's not really how you sign it but this is his version. What a cute boy!
I couldn't get him to do all the ones he knows for the camera, we were lucky to get these ones.




3 comments:

Katie L said...

Eden and Calvin remind me a lot of eachother, from your stories! Calvin is convinced that he is fluent in spanish too. He was an early talker like Eden. I like the baby sign language! I need that for poor, slow-to-speak Ronin! Fun times, huh?!!!

Rachel Holloway said...

How funny!! Love that one!

Denisse said...

Kristin, that is hillarious!!! I wish I were there to hear her say those things! I bet it is so hard not to laugh out loud! When I was little growing up in PerĂº, my brother and I would pretend that we spoke English! Now that I think back it is pretty funny!