Can't stop thinking about it
It seems like I haven't been much in to blogging these days.....I don't know why. I thought I'd put up just some "thoughts" of mine, things that have been on my mind lately.I don't know what to do about E and preschool. I have had this on my mind a lot lately. I want to take her out, I keep getting a feeling I should for some reason. I have a lot of my own reasons as to why I "want" to take her out but are they really reasons or excuses?! One is that it is costing too much $$. Not only the price of school its self but the gas to get out there and the membership fee of the Y, it all adds up. The other main reason is that she just isn't that into it this year. Last year she LOVED it! She loved her teacher, she loved her friends, she loved going pretty much every day she had school (two days a week). This year it is so different. She some times begs me to let her go back to bed, she doesn't want to wake up and go to school, in fact some days it's a massive struggle with her and I hate it (strong words, I know, but it is not fun to have a grump of a 4 year old first thing in the morning three days a week).
I'll ask her questions about school like "How did you like school today sweet heart, what did you do?" her response is "Mmmm it was okay, I donno what we did....." me again "come on what did you do." her very frustrated and not into it at all will say "I DON'T KNOW!" Fine! It's like she isn't enjoying it at all, so why should I pay for her to go if she doesn't enjoy it? I ask about her friends and her teacher and she seems to like them "okay" as well. My whole reason for putting her in was to prepare her for Kindergarden next year, and for the social aspect because she loves to be around other people/kids. I get the feeling that preschool is kind of "boring" her, not challenging her enough. I get the feeling that the novelty of having a classroom full of kids to play with has worn off and she would rather be at home with the friends in the neighborhood and her family. So since my main two reasons for her being in school this year are not really working out like I thought, should I just take her out? For some reason I feel like a bad Mom for just pulling her out of school part way through.
So here is what I think I will do. I think I will at least finish out November (parent teacher conference is in November) I will talk with the teacher and address my concerns and see if she can't help with the situation. Talk with the finicial people of the school to see if they can't help us out there too. If it still seems like it is not going to work I'll just pull her out in December. We're going to be gone much of December any way so I don't want to pay for a whole month and she'll only go for a week and a half. Then in January I'll start my own "prep for K-garden" with her, I'll need help with that, any ideas as to where to start? I feel over whelmed with stuff like that. So that's the plan. What would you do in this situation? I need advice.
Okay so I thought there were more things "on my mind" but this one has kind of taken over. This post is long enough for now, so I'll just leave it like it is for now. Thanks for listening :)
3 comments:
I think that's a great plan. It is a tough call, huh? Have you checked out your local headstart? I know you said you thought it was more of a daycare, but I don't think that is necessarily so. And it would be free...might arouse some interest in school for her, being in a new place. And you could work with her on the side. I don't know--just didn't know if you had actually gone down and looked at it. Just a thought.
Honestly, I'd pull her out. She'll be ready enough for kindergarten when it comes. how much could she possibly need to know?? if she's not enjoying it, take her out, save the money, and spend some valuable time with your daughter before she starts leaving you for the rest of her life. :) There are so many things to teach your child that have nothing to do with a book or even "learning time". Just TALK. ASK questions. and ANSWER hers. She doesn't need anything more than she needs a mommy.
I know that it's normal for kids her age to not really answer when you ask what they did at school. Macartney always says "nothing" or "I don't know" when I ask, but her preschool has a communication book that tells what she did that day and a newsletter that tells parents what letter, color, shape etc they are learning about, so when I start asking specifics she's much more talkative.
If you do take her out, you can get some preschool age workbooks and do that with her. Macartney has a few and she likes doing them. I just got them at Wal-Mart or costco. I'm sure E is fine socially, so school will probably be no big deal for her.
We get our preschool paid for by the Alberta government because I'm a stay at home mom! Gotta love Canada!
Post a Comment