Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Daddy is our Hero!

What a fun day we had yesterday! ((Sarcasm...))

Have you ever heard of these twistable crayons? They are a good idea and I thought I liked them, until yesterday.......
The crazy things you have to deal with when you have kids. I never would have thought of these to be "dangerous" or "hazardous" but apparently my three year old boy can find a way to make me realize these are NOT good for kids, especially kids who like to put things in their mouths to chew on (which, by the way, is ALL children ages 0-6 years old. It's true ask any Mother).

As I was finishing up blogging my 'therapy post' yesterday I hear a shrieking cry come from my boy. I ask him to come to me so I can kiss it better, knowing it was his "I hurt myself" cry. He wanders over to me still screaming in pain and I see him chewing on this crayon, or so I thought he's just chewing on it. He gets to me and I try and yank it out of his mouth saying "Take this out, don't chew on these things." only to find out it is stuck to his lip/mouth/cheek area and this is why he is crying. I pull a little harder (bad idea), he screams and I realize he has screwed his lip up into the bottom of this and it is REALLY stuck.

I calmly look at it for a while and start thinking of how in HECK I am going to get this off. I then calm him down some. Then of course being the good Mother that I am, I tell him to stay there as I get the camera. In my head I'm flashing back to this story of E, how do kids get into these predicaments? Seriously, this has to be documented. Who would have thought you could screw your lip up into a crayon? Not me!

I try and get it off with several tools, but to no avail. He's screaming in pain and I'm already emotional. I call my sweet neighbor and ask if she can come and look at our situation and help. By this time J boy is SCREAMING! He is not happy. I'm crying, of course, because that is what I do these days. I call C who is studying at school before he goes to class to take a quiz. I tell him "J is stuck, I don't know what to do, just come home and help." Poor Daddy did not know what was going on, just that Mommy was crying, J boy was screaming and we needed him to save us.

While waiting for our Hero of the Day, Daddy to get home my neighbor and I hold J boy down and try a few things but nothing is working with him freaking out the way he was. I'm still crying and decide to just wait till daddy gets home. I decide to just hold my boy and cry with him saying "I know it hurts but it'll be over soon." I get him pretty calmed down and almost asleep before Daddy even gets home. My amazing neighbor was so good, she stayed with me as moral support and ready to help when C got home.

I look back now and it's quite comical really. But at the time I'm thinking "Seriously, why? Why are kids so dumb some times? Why don't they just listen." Just DON'T put things in your mouth that don't belong there! I have said that a MILLION and one times to this kid but he never gets it. He probably still won't take my advice, even after his traumatic experience.

After 40 minutes or more of Me, my neighbor and Daddy dealing with this situation we get the stupid crayon off his face. Our problem was that it was hard to grasp it because it's plastic and very slippery when it has saliva all over it. Our smart Daddy thinks to get that grippy material (the stuff you can buy in the roll to put in your kitchen drawers etc.) that we had in our drawer and hold each end of the crayon with it as he poped it open releasing poor J boys lip.

We LOVE our Hero, Daddy. J's poor lip was a little pinched, no blood thank heavens or I would have been a basket case! His lip was a little soar and stretched out for the rest of the day and he was really clingy to me for the next few hours. He survived, I survived and the crayons....well, they are going in the garbage.
I did call Crayola to tell them what happened just so the knew and I was kind of hoping they'd offer to give me my money back since I would not be keeping these in my house. They were really nice and are sending J boy a safe crayola present, I do like free things :)

Oh the joys of raising children!

I do love that boy even if he's not so smart some times!

6 comments:

Clinton and Jessica said...

Wow, quite the ordeal. Kids do some pretty amazing things! Good for you for calling crayola. I never would have thought of that!

Anonymous said...

K, How did I know you would call the company? :) Poor J boy! Tell him Papa sends hugs and kisses and not to put crazy things in his mouth. Dad

khepworth said...

The part "Why are kids so dumb sometimes" makes me laugh.

Kurt is constantly reminding me, "They are just a bunch of dumb kids." -referring to our kids. It seems like he tells me that more often than not. :)

Rachel Holloway said...

THAT'S INSANE!!! WOW! What a story!

But excited for your new and SAFE kiddos product. :) Who doesn't love free?

Wendy said...

I'm trying not to laugh too hard at J boy. Even 8-year-olds have to be told not to put things in their mouths. My mantra is "If it's not food, it doesn't belong in your mouth."

Klingler said...

I am so glad we can laugh about it now with out the stitches on his poor face. Hahah - how funny now!