Monday, March 22, 2010

Faith like a Child

These are the things I want to record.

These are the moments that I never want to forget.

These are the things that My Children teach me, I am forever grateful for these moments in my life......

(This happened a week or so ago)

E got in BIG trouble for fighting with her brother. She wasn't just fighting, I caught her with her hands around his neck trying to choke him while taking something from him.

I was upset with her to say the least. She knows better! She is smart enough to look at the situation and make the right choice but in this case she chose wrong.

I put her in time out for 5 minutes and after her time was done I had a serious talk with her. I asked her why she felt the need to do that and what could she have done differently.

As she responded through her sobs I could tell she was upset with herself for doing this, and I could feel her shame and remorse.

At the end of our talk I hugged my still sobbing girl and told her I loved her and that she could always do better.

I thought that she'd get over it, as she always does, and go on playing with her brother.

While making dinner I saw her huddled up at the table writing something on a small piece of paper. Then I noticed she was still crying.

Me: E honey why are you crying?
E: I'm still sad that I got in trouble.
Me: It's okay, it's over with, don't worry about it.

At dinner she still was so sulky and sad. She could hardly contain her emotions as she slipped the note across the table to me.

I opened it.... read it...... and burst into tears and embraced my sweet sweet girl.

It read:

"Dear Mommy

I willy wont to be fogivn"
(I really want to be forgiven)

My response:
through my tears I said "OH sweet heart of course I forgive you!"

I am crying as I type.....

It made me think about my life.

I thought about the dumb things I do and oh how I want My Father in Heaven to embrace me and say "Oh sweet heart of course I forgive you."

What an amazing thing for a 6 year old to recognize that she didn't feel the problem was resolved until she knew she was forgiven.

I think we all have this problem.

We find it hard to let our past go. Our mistakes linger in our minds even after all we have done to right our wrongs. We then don't accept or we just forget that we have been forgiven and we forget that we must move on.

I love that she has that sweet spirit about her, that need to feel that forgiving touch. That need to feel healed and whole again.

This is what it means to become as a little child. We need to be more humble and submissive.

I need to become more like my child.

It's such a strange phenomenon how they need us to be examples to them and they need us to learn from......

But really how much more do we learn from them, how much more do we need them in this life?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

ok, so i don't comment on blogs, but this one was too much......sweet, sweet E - and her sweet, sweet mom. I just know I love your whole family and we could all learn something from E in this instance. Could I come over and give her a hug, please? I hope I can be a mom like you, you are an amazing example K...and don't forget it!

Daniel and Dawn said...

Very tender example of love between a mother and her daughter! So glad you shared this story to us all. We all need a reminder of true forgiveness.

P.S. I cried as I read what you typed!

Anonymous said...

How could one NOT cry at such a manifestation of truth didplayed by such a little one? Thank you K for sharing. Papa