Saturday, March 06, 2010

They grow up all too fast!

I love looking back through our family pictures, which we store in our computer, and even the video clips we have. I could spend hours doing this.

It amazes me how much my children change even after just one year. It scares me too. If they are getting older, well then so am I :) I'm okay with getting older but as each year passes and my babies aren't babies any more I get more and more scared......

Am I doing enough to prepare them for the real world?
Do they know I have a testimony of God and Jesus?
Have I done what I could to teach them in the correct ways....
Do they have good habits and manors, do they know basic educational stuff (abc's, colors etc.) before going to school?
The list goes on.....

When I stop think about it, it's all so scary some times knowing My husband and I (but I put most of the pressure on myself since I am the 'stay at home Mommy') are solely responsible for the way our children turn out, for the values they have and really for their education (teachers can't do it alone).

Okay so its not just some times scary, it's REALLY scary.

Every year my kids grow up and are doing new and different things and that's okay. I'm glad they are growing and learning, it's part of life.

What I have a hard time with is the things they used to do, but no longer do any more. The things they kind of grow out of. I have a hard time with it, because I just want them to be my little kids forever!

Now I understand why my Dad would always say "Can you just stop growing up? You are growing up way too fast." I always took that as my Daddy being silly, but now I know it was all so serious to him.

It's hard to stand by and watch as your kids need you less and less. It's exciting to see them change and grow but hard at the same time. Am I making any sense?

What made me go off on this tangent and think of this you ask?

We used to have lots of "dance parties" at our house. I would blast music on the computer in the kitchen and go crazy dancing with my kids. I loved doing that! I mostly loved watching my kids try and move their bodies to the music, watching them learn how to dance, that was the best!

E has some moves, or at least she used to have some awesome moves.

J boy, ummm not so coordinated but it was entertaining to watch him try.

Sadly my kids don't break out in dance when they hear music around the house any more. I miss it. E will happily sing along if she knows the words, but not much dancing.

This is just one of the many things my kids used to love doing, but now have moved on and grown out of. Although I'm sure near her teenage years she might get back into dancing like crazy around the house. I know how teenage girls are.

Here is the video that made me think "why don't they do this any more?"
E girl doing her "cow-girl" dance moves to good 'ol Don Williams.

5 comments:

Clinton and Jessica said...

ha. Love the dance E! I totally agree. I was just thinking about that the other day...how fast they grow. GLAD AND SAD!!! I too want them to just stop growing sometimes and stay in the particular stage forever! and other days I just can't wait until they get a little older and grow out of certain things!

Kristin said...

Haha looove the dance E-girl. You gotta get her dancing more!

Katie The Lady said...

I feel the same way! I remember so many little things they did and don't do anymore. It's like you have to write everything down, or you'll forget. Because once they stop doing it, it is gone forever. We love to look through our old pictures and videos too. It is weird, my kids are only 3 and 6, but it has been so long since they were tiny!

Rachel Holloway said...

Oh how I hear you on this! It's SHOCKING to look back even just a few months and see how much they have changed and grown. Time sure flies...and I hope I am doing all I can to make the time count!

Anonymous said...

How come I haven't seen her dance before!? Wow! She is a natural. Those are some great moves. I busted out laughing. Feel fortunate you have these video clips to help you recall all the wonderful times. That is exactly why I used to tell you to stop growing. It all happens so fast.
Papa.