Monday, March 29, 2010

Fun conversation.....

A conversation with the Man in the check-out line behind me in WalMart.....

Why is it that people feel the need to make dumb comments to obviously large and uncomfortable pregnant women who are complete strangers to them? Just wondering....

A little disclaimer: I was feeling pretty crampy, had both my kids who were not being good at all, so to say the least, I was already in a grumpy mood before he started this dumb conversation...

Man: Having a boy are we?
Me: (smile politely) Oh nope, it's a girl
Man: Pretty sure it's a boy
Me: (still smiling) Well I saw the ultra sound and it's a girl, sorry
Man: Well I work in Labor and delivery at the Hospital and I know a Mom that is having a boy and you have to be having a boy.
Me: (a little annoyed but still fake smiling)Oh yeah, what makes you say that, how do you KNOW. Because I'm pretty sure it's a girl.
Man: You're carrying so low, I see all the Moms come in who carry that low and they always end up with boys.
Me: I know, I carry low. I carry low with all my babies. See I have one girl and one boy and I carried them both the same. It's gonna be a girl.
Man: When are you due?
Me: May
Man: Well you are pretty big too, so it's gotta be a boy.
Me: (not smiling any more and annoyed) Well I carry "big" with all my babies, thank you.
I grabbed my last bag and pushed my cart away. What else was I supposed to say?

Seriously, people? Seriously. You could have ended the conversation at me telling you I'm having a girl and just confessed that you guessed wrong.

I know I carry low, that's just me for ya. And I also know that I get big, but still no reason to point it out to me.

I'm sure I'll get more comments like this the more I show my apparently "big" belly in public. I have 8 weeks left, there will be LOTS more dumb conversations like this.

Fun times.

P.S. I'm now scared that I'm having a boy. Please please don't be a boy. I gave a ton of my boy stuff away! It has to be a girl!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sweet K.....trust the ultrasound - not the man with no boundries at the market.....sorry about that!

Katie The Lady said...

I hate when strangers think they know more about your situation, than you do! How weird!

So far for me, I've carried my kids really high! I mean, up, in my ribs high. Neither Calvin, nor Ronin even dropped at all at the end. And I ended up with 2 boys!

I think you're safe to say that it is a girl-hahaha.

Adri said...

Yeah...I would definitely trust an ultrasound before a random guy at Wal-Mart. :) And I don't think you look abnormally large. You look how you should look for how far along you are. Just ignore people. Especially men. Like they have a clue?

adrienne said...

Ha! That's funny. Especially because it's a man. You should have asked him how it was for him when he was pregnant! I hated when people commented on how I was carrying! I'm 5'2". I carry straight out in front of me!!! Where else is it going to go. When I was pregnant with Thatcher some girl in our ward asked me if it was twins. I was due that day and I said no. Then she said, "Are you sure?? Because you're huge." Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear...
P.S. I was terrified the whole time I was pregnant with Macartney that even thought the ultrasound said girl, it would be a boy. Haven't found out since what we're having.