Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Come on People

I'm not a huge fan of the $ store. I hate going there, mostly because my kids beg for everything in there, and most of it is junk. I do however go there to buy their crap on occasion, like for E's b-day party stuff, it's usually the cheapest there.

Today I braved this dreaded store with my J boy, who seemed to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and was mister crabby face today.

Knowing his bad attitude for the day may cause me some problems at the store I decided I would have a little chat with him. Before we left, I told him where we were going and why.
Then I said....
"J, you may not have everything in the store, you may not cry and whine for everything. If you are good and behave well during our quick trip to the store you may pick out one thing for yourself, BUT only if you are a good boy."

I asked him if he understood the terms for getting his special prize at the store and he, of course, said yes.

Why did I believe him?! Who knows what I was thinking.

It started out okay.

He was not really whining or asking for anything at all. I was proud of him, especially since he was in a pretty foul mood today. He even told me he had to go potty before it was too late (he's been wetting his pants lately if he's 'too busy' to go) so that was amazing for him!

I then tell him he was a good boy and thank him for that, repeatedly saying "I am proud of you for being SO good in here today." Then I tell him to pick out one piece of crap, I mean toy, for himself as his prize. He takes his time but decides on a small spiderman ball.

Then we go to check out.......

and near the check out there are these, all at eye level, for a person of two and a half-three feet tall.Here comes the begging and whinny toned voice asking....."Can I have some of dis and dis and one of dese?"

I calmly say "No, buddy you got to pick out one thing like I promised and that was our deal, that is all you get today."

Surprisingly he was fine with it. Then he went over by the door after his ball was paid for and found these lovely things
Here we go again. The begging and whining begins.....

Now there are three people behind me in line and I'm trying to tell him no, in a clam way, pay for my junk, and gather my belongings so I can go calm him down.

I know it's only 25 Cents, but it's the point I am making that counts, that I told him he got ONE thing, toy or whatever he wanted, and that was IT! Nothing else! He knew the terms, yet he was pushing his limits. I am not a fan of "pushing limits" to say the least.

So he's throwing a fit and I am saying the same thing to him loudly over and over so that all can hear that I am not a terrible Mother.

"J boy, I told you our deal was you got to pick out one thing, your ball, for being good. That is all you are going to get today, now lets go home so you can play with your new toy."

J boy "NOOOO! I just want one more thing PLEEEAASE! I'll be good after that."

whine whine whine whine cry cry cry......You get the point

I'm thinking
I knew I should not have taken him here. What was I thinking. I'm gonna kill this kid. He's three and a half he should not be acting this way. Etc. Etc.

All the while I am standing my ground, keeping calm and waiting patiently for him to realize it is not going to happen and that it is not worth the fight.

Just as he's giving up, although he was still throwing his mini fit as we headed for the door the customer that was behind me in line is now holding a quarter in front of my boy and saying "here, come with me, which one do you want?"

All you mothers out there know exactly what was going through my head right then......

"AAAAHHHH NOOOOOO! I have a quarter, I have LOTS of them! That is NOT the point. The point was this kid was throwing a fit and he knew our deal! I did NOT want to give into his bratty-ness!"

Oh I was so mad, to say the least.

I'm still not sure of this mans motives.

Maybe he was trying to be nice to me and my bratty kid.
OR
Maybe he just wanted this annoying kid to shut up.
OR
Maybe he was trying to sabotage my parenting skills.
OR
Maybe he really thought I was a bad Mother for not "caving" and giving the kid what he wanted.

Either way, I was livid!

The guy took one look at my face and could tell. Yet he was still putting the quarter into the machine my son picked out and going against my will.

I said something like "Well, there is no need to do this, he got his prize." But that didn't stop him, it was too late.

With my teeth gritting and my foul look on my face, I say "J, what do you say to this nice man."

J immediately says Thank you to him and the "Nice Man" smiles an annoying smile at me and the now happy child I am holding on to and walks away. He really could have done with out that stupid smirk on his face.

At this point I'm thinking he did all of that on purpose. Every one at the check out could hear my conversation with my son, they all knew he got his "prize" and that he did NOT need to beg for anything else. Yet this Man felt the need, for some reason, to make me the Mother of this child, look like the "bad guy" to my own son.

Oh, OH was I mad.
There were so many things I wanted to say to that Man, but I resisted the urge. It was not worth it.


J boy is smart. He must have felt my anger so when that bubble gum ball came rolling into his hand he popped that thing into his mouth so fast, you would have thought it was on fire. He knew I was contemplating taking it away. I would have too, if it were not in his mouth so fast.

We walk out to our car, I put the now happy child into his seat and on the way home I tell him that he was not behaving good back at the store and that he should not have gotten anything from anyone. Like that did me any good, J boy had a big smile on his face as he chomped on his huge bubble gum ball.


Please, Come on people DO NOT parent my Children for me!

You don't know me, I don't know you. There is no need for you to step in and 'help' me out.

If you feel the urge, just resist it. You do NOT want to make this pregnant Mama angry!

((Sigh))

THE END!

11 comments:

Trevor and Holly said...

I hear you that is terrible!! I would have been mad, too!!!

Daniel and Dawn said...

Wow!! I felt my self getting angry as I read. I was like oh no, no they wouldn't, they did! So sorry to hear your frustration!! You go mama, stick to you guns. You did it right!

Ahhhhh Jenna and the dollar store today too!! Not toy, but running from me and laughing! No treat for her today either. Thankfully no one caved to her saying "treat all the way to check out, in the line, out the door and all the way home!!!

Kristin said...

That really is awful. Angry feelings.

Denisse said...

wow! k! man! I would have been soooo upset! seriously! it's already bad enough to deal with the discipline of our children in public and I'm proud of you for standing your ground....and then on top of it to have to deal with the interference of a stranger...may be he didn't have a mom to teach him that we can't have everything we want in this life...thank goodness J has you to teach him those things!:)

adrienne said...

That's awful!! But what can you do? You were absolutely right to stand your ground. He probably thought he was being nice and he probably has zero parenting skills.

adrienne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Breanna said...

Seriously!!! And just another point to throw in here, What is it with people teaching kids it is okay to take things from strangers?! I get so irritated when random people come up and try and talk to my kids. Maybe I am a big off, but really? They AREN'T supposed to talk to you!!! Let alone take anything from you. I would probably have taken the ball away. :) But I am a really mean mom.

Bonnie said...

You didn't say if this man was a "grandpa". If so, then parent rules don't apply. Grandpas make their own rules, you know. Someday you will understand :)

Kris said...

Breanna: For the record. I did not let him play with his new ball when he got home, I left it in the car, for two days, in fact. Cause I am mean that way :)

Mom: I'm thinking he was not a grandpa, but you never can tell these days.

My instinct was that he just thought "how hard is it to just give him a quarter so he'll stop crying." Which was not my point at all. You out of anyone should understand that.

It would have been a TOTALLY different story if it was one of HIS grandparents, or even Aunties or Uncles, they are supposed to spoil my children. Not some stranger who clearly could see I was trying to teach him a lesson.
And even if he was a grandpa, I think he should have known to at least ask this kid's Mother if it was OK if he bought him a gum ball.

You see where I'm going with this, I know you do.

Mom, I know you're on my side on this one.

Breanna said...

good job Kristin! I am proud of you. You ARE an amazing mother, keep up the great work.

Jill said...

I just may have said...Thanks but No Thanks to the man and walked away...but, I might have just done the same thing you did...either way I would have been furious! You were doing the right thing...unfortunately too many parents give in to tantrums!