Yes, yes it's one of those posts where I'm going to vent. But I mostly am putting this out there to get some advice so if you read on, and have any advice feel free to give it.
I had one of those days yesterday. I guess there are lots of different kinds of those days, let me clarify....
I felt like the chicken running around with it's head cut off, kind of day, all day really.
I felt frazzled, unorganized, chaotic.....you get the point.
It was one of those days where you felt you were constantly helping others (whether it be my own kids, husband, or friends and neighbors) and not doing what you knew you needed to be doing for you.
Now, don't get me wrong I don't mind helping others, I really don't. It just seemed like on top of a busy schedule I chose to help more people than maybe I should have. I know though at the end of the day I was blessed because of it. I will explain more later.
So I realized yesterday amongst my chaos that I have a problem. Not sure if I'm the only one like this, but it is driving me crazy and I need to learn to fix it. I also need to know I'm normal and not the only crazy person out there like this.
Here is my problem:
I'm the worst at multitasking. I mean I'm good at doing it, not good at perfecting it.
I'll explain.
I try to multitask and end up having 5 undone projects/chores/to-do's at the end of my day. I hate when my days end up that way.
Here is an example of what I mean:
I have a mental to-do list in my head for the day....vacuum, laundry, sweep, dishes, toilets, windows, meal plan, grocery shopping, dinner etc. Most of these are daily things and some go by the way side for a few days and I'm okay with that. But I usually try to have what I really want to get done that day, the most important things I need done, in my head first thing in the morning.
Then I start my day. Kids off to school, baby fed and napping. Let's get started.
I go to do the dishes and I notice my rags are dirty and put them in the laundry room. I see there is a whole load of rags and towels to wash, so I start a load of laundry and realize I should get all the laundry out after I'm done doing the dishes and just get it all done in one day. I go on with dishes and then notice the floor needs sweeping and I want to do that before my floor is covered in water from doing the dishes. So I stop doing dishes and start to sweep the floor. Then I notice the rug under the table needs vacuuming, so I stop sweeping to get the vacuum out to help remind me to do under the table. As I go to get the vacuum out I realize the living room needs a good vacuum too, it's been a day or so, so I start to pick up the living room so I can vacuum it. Now ten minutes into my day and I already have four or more things I have started and not yet finished one of them.
I try and get back on track. "ONE THING AT A TIME!" I try and tell myself that over and over, yet I don't do it. I keep on with my crazy routine of leaving one thing to, start another, only to find another thing to start and not finish. It DRIVES ME CRAZY when I am like this. It makes my day so chaotic feeling when I do this, and I don't like it. Now I'm not like this all the time, although I will admit I do it more often than not.
So, do you do this?
Please tell me I'm not the only one. Please tell me there is some normalcy to this weird and bad habit I have.
AND if you do find you have done this, how do you fix it? How do you stop your day and change it so that it doesn't end with things left undone because of poor multitasking skills? AND how do you make sure you don't do it ever again?
Yesterday I lucked out. Well to be more honest, I believe it was a blessing and not luck, that I finished 90% of what I started yesterday, which is saying a lot because I started a lot of things yesterday. I truly believe it was a blessing for taking some extra time to help my friends and neighbors, and although those things I did for others were little and individually added up to not much at all, collectively it was a lot of my extra time and for that I think I was blessed with enough time at the end of my day to finish many of my "started" chores. And since I finished many of those chores I have a fairly empty and calm day today, for which I am grateful for because yesterday wore me out. I was SO tired by the end o the night, falling asleep on the couch.
Any way that is the end of my venting to you.
There you have it, one of my major flaws when it comes to house keeping.
Here's hoping I can change.
Thursday, October 07, 2010
I have a problem
Posted by Kris at 10:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh, Kristen. I think many people have this problem. I certainly do. I know there are some people out there that are amazing multitaskers. I've decided to stop trying to figure out how they do it, or get down on myself about how great they are and how bad I am about it and just accept the fact that many people in this world are far more efficient than I am. :)
Your post made me smile and reminded me of a post I wrote last year titled "If you give a mom a project". LOL!
http://thechickmagnets.blogspot.com/2009/11/lets-write-post-that-is-not-on-friday.html
I am slowly getting better. Sometimes. Maybe the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem! :) If you figure out the magic answer to your question, let me know. Otherwise. I find that reading my scriptures first thing in the morning always magically helps me accomplish more throughout the day. My only advice. Good luck!
Ha ha ha Tyler and I both do this. I'm easily distracted and bounce around whenever I'm doing ANYTHING! I did it in school, at work, and at home. Allie and I talked about this when I was in UT and she said she has to bounce around or she just can't finish anything. I'm sure we haven't had quite as much of a problem finishing our projects because we don't have three kids....although Allie does work with a class of 30... I don't know how to help you, but feel comforted you're not alone ;)
I think it is hereditary!! :)
I think everyone does this! One thing that I do to help me stay on track is I have to write what I'm doing down and stay in one room until it's done. If I leave the room then I start on another task. It works for me!
Holy crap! You just described my days! I think everyone else is right...you're not the only one who does this. I have notice though, if I concentrate on one room, it really seems to help. Sure I might have to take something to another room, (and then of course I notice another mess)but if I make myself leave that mess alone and go back to the room I just came from, I usually finish it then move onto the next. Have a great day.
-Rebekah
Post a Comment