Monday, July 12, 2010

I am now convinced, I have a phobia.

So I'm pretty sure I am slightly Arachnophobic, I don't think that is even a word. I have a mild case of Arachnophobia or I have a small phobia of spiders, I guess that's how you'd put it, one of those ways.

For the longest time I denied this fact. I didn't like spiders, that I knew, but that was it or so I told myself. I wasn't completely fearful of them?! I could kill small spiders and I still can. I don't feel like I am going to pass out if I see a spider (most of the time, unless it is huge and creeping towards me, or in my bedroom or shower or pretty much anywhere in my house). If I see a spider outdoors I am okay with it and don't feel the need to kill it (unless it is near the a door way to my house or looks threatening), to me all those things seemed justifiable and normal when it came to "not liking spiders".

But now I am convinced otherwise......Now I think I must admit, I have a phobia of spiders.

Here is how I know my Arachnophobia is real, even though it is small, it is real......

I can't kill spiders that are bigger than the size of a pin head. In fact I get that "scared" or "fearful" feeling in me that holds me back, that is, if it is a large spider. So, I I make my 4 year old son kill them for me :)

I think spiders that are in my house are out to get me, especially in my sleep or in the shower. (remember this story)

I do scream (well it's more like a yelp) and jump if I encounter a large spider unexpectedly.

Even though I know spiders play an important role in this world I still wish they didn't exist.

I have bad dreams that include spiders in them, that's not the worst part of it, most of these dreams are more like day-dreams.

It sounds weird I know, to have day-dreams or more like day nightmares about spiders but I do.

For example:

If I'm standing at the counter or at my sink in my bathroom and I feel something ever so slight on my leg or foot or toes I immediately move my feet check for spiders, but the problem is that I can't stand there any longer with out thinking or imagining there is a spider up under my sink/cupboard area and then I imagine it coming down on my feet. So then you have me standing at the sink doing dishes/cleaning with my feet about two feet away from the "under the sink " part and/or constantly checking to see if there is a spider coming down on my feet.

It's ridiculous, I know.

Here is what happened to me yesterday in the shower, at this point as I got out of my shower and calmed down a bit, it was then clear to me that I have a problem. I am in denial of my small phobia of spiders but I am being convinced there is something there to this phobia. Here is what happened.....

I start the shower and see a tiny, tiny spider crawling in my tub.

"no big deal." I think to myself "I just have to turn on the water and wash it down the drain, easy shmeasy."

I do just that, turn the water on flush it down the drain all the while I'm telling myself, "that was it, there was only one tiny spider don't freak out."

I get in the shower and I can't stop thinking about that tiny spider. You see, since there was a tiny spider it must be a baby one and if it was a baby one there has to be a mother one (who is most likely a very large spider, so my mind tells me anyway). At this point my mind begins to go crazy because for some reason I think if there is a baby spider the Mommy spider is close by watching it and now the mean vicious Momma spider knows I killed her baby spider and is out for revenge.

The thing is, when I stop and think about it, later and when I'm not in crazy spider mode, I know that all tiny spiders are not baby ones and if it was a baby spider the Momma spider has like a million babies and I'm pretty sure that after the Momma spider makes her egg sack she dies and doesn't stick around and hover over her millions of tiny baby spiders (I learned that from Chollotte's Web :) but yet the logic of it all doesn't set in, and I get into that crazy-can't-think logically-spider-scaring-the-pee-out-of-me mode, and then it's hopeless.

So there I stand in the shower trying to pretend I'm okay when really I'm going crazy. I can feel the Momma spider's crazy eyes watching me as I shower. I just know she's there, hiding where I can't see her planning her attack. I find myself whipping around to make sure she isn't attacking from behind. I try hard not to close my eyes and if I do it's not for very long (which always ends with me getting soap in my eyes) because I know she's watching me and I know she knows the best time to strike would be when I couldn't see it coming. Now being blinded with soap in my eyes and my obvious fear increasing I probably look like a crazy woman, because at this point, lets face it, I am.

I then try and self talk myself out of thinking the way that I am thinking, ya know ....."You're fine, no spiders here. It's all in your head, it's your imagination, even if there was one it's not going to attack you and even if it did you're not going to die."

It doesn't work but it distracts me long enough to finish my shower which is now no longer enjoyable, in fact it is the opposite now, it is miserable for me.

Then as I'm drying off and getting dressed, for some reason I told myself that that is a normal way to react and then I begin to deny my phobia. I stop and think a little more, "you're crazy, why did you make your shower miserable just because you were afraid there might be a spider in the shower?" Key word "afraid"

I then laugh and admit that I do have a phobia, but at this point I am justifying it as a small phobia and I think that is pretty accurate, for now.

Hi I K Harker and I have a phobia of spiders.

4 comments:

lynsey said...

well i'm joining your group! i've had a phobia of spiders ever since i saw the movie "aracnaphobia" when i was like 13.

but to give you a taste of my "illness" here are a few things that i do:

-whenever i actually get up the courage to kill a spider, i leave its guts on the wall (as long as they're not completely disgusting & in a place where everyone coming into our place can see it) because i believe that i am teaching a lesson to all of the little dead spider's relatives that they will also face impending death should they dare to show their 8-legged bodies around me.

-i know that out of windex, lysol & hairspray, the best killer of spiders is hairspray because it makes them too sticky to run & they end up dying a slower death. (i know that sounds totally wicked, but i'm not this way with ANY other creature besides spiders) also with hairspray i don't have to get too close to them, unlike shoes.

-i've told ben that i believe that they are a more intelligent insect...they can "sense" when i'm watching them, even from across the room because i will see them moving out of the corner of my eye, then i turn my face, and they stop! then start up again as soon as i turn my face and then stop! again when i look at them. they know things......(ben thinks i am crazy by the way)

-i used to have half awake/half asleep nightmares ALL of the time about spiders...that there was one falling down from the ceiling on my face, that there was one sloooowly crawling toward my hand and face on the pillow, that there was a huge one right next to my leg on the wall. i would wake up screaming & have to sleep with the light on. my sister loooooved sharing a room. not.

-JUST LAST NIGHT i was staying at my dad's house in UT and watching a show on my laptop online on my bed in my dark bedroom when a small but FAST spider zooooomed across the bed!! i jumped up, almost threw my laptop and squealed. turned on the light, saw it race across the bed again and grabbed a flip-flop, freaking out because i was going to have to attack it with a shoe that had my hand exposed and what if it jumped on my fingers, ran up my arm and into my mouth?!?!? but i pounced on it and squashed it to smitherines, and couldn't settle down again after that. i had to sleep with the lamp on next to me, and let's just say i'm turning 30 in like a week.


so hi! my name is lynsey and i too have a phobia of spiders. :)


p.s. your pee story about your little guy made me laugh so hard!! ahhhh, the things we do in desperate times, right?

C Harker said...

Ha! Well told hun. And Lynsey, I loved your first point about leaving the guts of squished spiders around to teach the rest of them a lesson because K does this too. There is a dried out carcass of a spider on the ceiling above our shower that has been there well over a year, maybe two, that is just there to say, "uh-uh, not in here ya don't!" Too funny,

Kris said...

Ha, Lyns I love it. Glad I'm not the only one that is this way. So does this mean I am normal :)

Oh and I totally do leave the dead ones where I squish them.

Oh and I forgot to mention shoes! I am paranoid of them being in my shoes I check my shoes for them. I'm sure there are other crazy things I do, so many I couldn't think of them all!

Breanna said...

I love it! I have a friend that sat and watched a spider for hours until her husband came home so he could kill it. Also, I think you give spiders more credit than they deserve. I am not sure what amazing purpose they have here. And I have to admit, I have had my own shower moments. Especially after I read your stories!