Thursday, March 10, 2011

Because you may be wondering

Many of you (especially family) know that this is C's last year of school. We have been out here since 2006, coming up on 5 years! Man I cannot believe it has been that long, it went by so fast.

I remember when he got in to the Dental School here (after we moved out here to help make that possible) and he started his first year, a year after we come out here. He was excited, I was excited but I thought "This is going to be a long four years." I was wrong. It flew by! Well for me anyway, I'm not the one who was going to school the last four years.

And now, here we are coming up quickly on his Graduation (In May) and I almost don't want it to be over. It's not that I don't want him to be graduated and done but the unknown of our future kind of scares me a little. I'm so used to being a "poor student family" that I don't know life any other way, ha ha! I know that sounds strange to not want to be out of this stage of life but it has become a familiar comfort to me. I know, of course, once we are established in "real life" as I like to call it, I'll definitely not miss the poor student life but for now, it is all I know and it is scary to know there is a future for us but not know what it holds.

Anyway just pouring my feelings out there a bit.....

Many of you (friends) have asked me questions like "Do you know where you're going?" or "Does he have a job lined up?" etc. So I'm writing this post to update on C and his schooling/career.

First of all, YES he will graduate in May! He has met all his requirements and is completely on track to graduate, yipee! Not that we were worried about it, he's a smart man who made really good grades! He passed his second round of written National Boards already, another requirement done and over with, hooray! And he has dates set for clinical boards coming up in April.

As far as how long we'll still be here, well it just depends on when he can finish up his clinic points. For those who don't know, Clinic (where he treats actual patients) points are needed before you can finish school. He has so many points to get in each area: fillings, crowns, root canals etc. He has to have these done on REAL people or patients as they are called :) So you can imagine the hard work and time it takes to get all the requirements done with in two years (the time they are able to work on real patients) it's not always easy and it can be stressful. So even though his points are probably not going to be all completed by May he will still graduate. After that he just stays in clinic until he reaches his point requirements, which we are guessing it'll only take him until June to get them all in.

So June/July-ish we will most likely be moving away from this place we now call home. And though it is our home and has been for the last 5 years, we have decided and know we won't stay here. It's just too far from family for us and it doesn't fit our life style. So out West some where is where we'll be, or at least that is our goal. As for where exactly we'll be? We don't know yet. We are in the process of Job hunting and it's not uncommon to not have a job lined up at this point, for dental students. Yes, some people do have jobs lined up already but we are not worried about not finding something that fits us, we will find it!

So that is it in a nutshell.

Of course the process of graduation, boards testing, more boards, job hunting, finding a place to live, moving etc. etc. is all stressful and necessary but we (mostly C) are plugging along nicely and doing our best to get through and survive these last few though months.

And I want to say that my husband is amazing! These last 5 years (and lets not forget the years of undergrad he completed) he has worked and worked and worked SO hard to provide for his family and it hasn't always been fun or easy but he has done it willingly because he loves us. And for that, I am so GRATEFUL! I am grateful for him and all his hard work on behalf of us, his family. He truly is an amazing Man/Husband/Father and I am so proud of him!

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

So excited for you guys! It's so fun to see where our old friends are ending up and the careers they are choosing! LOVE staying in touch with you guys! :)

Unknown said...

Nice work C! Some day we will not be poor college students and that will be weird...but I very good weird! Yay for moving out west :)

adrienne said...

I can't wait to hear where you guys end up! As long as it's closer to me!!!