Commercializing Holidays
I think Valentines Day is a good day for one reason, not for the stupid candy hearts or chocolates or flowers or big huge stuffed animals but because it gives us a day to appreciate and show love to those who are really important to us. I hate it how every holiday is so commercialized, it's starting to get on my nerves a little. They (the stores) start putting pink and red out immediately after Christmas as if people are going to buy Valentines Day stuff that early any way.
So after coming home from the store seeing a whole two isles dedicated to this upcoming holiday I was annoyed and told my hubby that we aren't "buying" any thing for each other for Valentines Day. In his head I think he was thinking "YES I'm off the hook." but that is not what I meant by that statement. I told him he is more than welcome to make me a card and write a love note in it, or make me breakfast etc. but not to buy things that "they" want us to buy for this holiday. Meaning no flowers, chocolates, toys, candies, or even a card(he'd have to make that with the stuff I have) but he'd have to be creative and I told him I'd do the same for him. He said he's felt that way for a long time about this particular holiday and was fine with my idea. I think it means more to me any way if he does some thing different for me rather than just get flowers and say "Happy Valentines Day". It's not that I don't like getting flowers, I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I love getting flowers and chocolates for that matter I just don't want some one telling my husband when he has to get them for me, I want him to do it on his own and not just because there is a holiday every year that comes around telling him he should, I like being surprised. May be I'm the only one that feels this way but I thought I'd just share my thoughts on this particular holiday.
With E being in preschool I know that if I don't send her with little cards and candies she'd be the only one in her class that didn't hand those out to every one so I'll make an exception for her. Any way I'm done with my ranting about Commercialized Holidays.
So after coming home from the store seeing a whole two isles dedicated to this upcoming holiday I was annoyed and told my hubby that we aren't "buying" any thing for each other for Valentines Day. In his head I think he was thinking "YES I'm off the hook." but that is not what I meant by that statement. I told him he is more than welcome to make me a card and write a love note in it, or make me breakfast etc. but not to buy things that "they" want us to buy for this holiday. Meaning no flowers, chocolates, toys, candies, or even a card(he'd have to make that with the stuff I have) but he'd have to be creative and I told him I'd do the same for him. He said he's felt that way for a long time about this particular holiday and was fine with my idea. I think it means more to me any way if he does some thing different for me rather than just get flowers and say "Happy Valentines Day". It's not that I don't like getting flowers, I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I love getting flowers and chocolates for that matter I just don't want some one telling my husband when he has to get them for me, I want him to do it on his own and not just because there is a holiday every year that comes around telling him he should, I like being surprised. May be I'm the only one that feels this way but I thought I'd just share my thoughts on this particular holiday.
With E being in preschool I know that if I don't send her with little cards and candies she'd be the only one in her class that didn't hand those out to every one so I'll make an exception for her. Any way I'm done with my ranting about Commercialized Holidays.
2 comments:
I agree with you! I do think it's fun when you're little. I loved making Valentine's. But I think it's actually a stupid holiday. Poor guys feeling guilted into buying stuff. I don't think us girls have as much pressure to do or give on Valentine's Day. Denver doesn't like being told he SHOULD do something for me on a specific day, but then again, I told him then that means he has to do nice things (or give flowers or whatever) on different days. And he does pretty well, with only a few reminders! Last year on Valentine's, I told Denver to get me chocolates, because I wanted an excuse for some good chocolates. Then I made a fancy candlelit dinner (not from scratch or anything). So it was fun and there were no expectations of gifts. We'll probably do something similar this year.
Amen! I hate they way they make so much money making good people feel guilty! I would rather get flowers on some random day then when "they" are forcing him to buy them. Way to stand up!
Post a Comment