Friday, February 01, 2008

Edamame, and no ice cream, what?
The other day we were at a friends house and J decided to climb up on the table and eat the little girls leftover lunch, her mother didn't care so I didn't either. I asked her mother what it was my son was eating and she said "edamame". Eda-what-eh? I had no idea what it was but J apparently loves it. I came to find out that it is a Chinese dish of steamed immature soy beans, you can find them in the frozen veggie section at most grocery stores. They come in either the pods that you have to shell yourself or already shelled and ready to steam. He seriously ate a few dozen of these little beans. I thought maybe it was because he didn't eat his lunch that day and he was starving. Then I was digging through my freezer for some frozen veggies to serve with dinner the next day and found that I accidentally grabbed the "deluxe veggie mix" which happened to have edamame in it so I was excited to give it a try and see if J really did like this stuff and again he ate quite a few of them with his dinner. So last night I steam these veggies up again to see if it's just a fluke thing that he scarfs down this good for you bean dish, and again he ate at least 1/8 of a cup full if not more, he kept asking for more and there were no complaints from me. I looked it up on the internet to see what this stuff is and apparently it has become a popular dish in the U.S. (although I had not heard of it) and it is really good for you. In just a half a cup of the shelled beans you can get 9 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein and only 2 grams of fat, it is a good source of vitamin C, A and Iron. So I was happy to hear that it is so good for you. I like it too, I think it is pretty good. C thinks it's okay and E hasn't taken a liking to it although I did get her to eat a little bit of it last night. I think I'm going to have to stock up on edamame in hopes that my boy will keep eating it and E will learn to like it. So if you're looking for a new dish or a yummy snack try it you may like it and maybe your kids will too.

Going along with the food subject... I noticed some thing weird around our house, we, meaning me or C, have not bought or eaten ice cream in more than three weeks! If you know C that is an amazing thing since his nightly snack is usually a bowl of ice cream. Usually when I ask what we need at the store his response almost always is "Ice Cream". I think I figured out why he has been laying off of it for a while, he's been trying hard to get in shape for his big bike trip to Moab Utah, he wants to be in good shape so he can enjoy it to the fullest. So maybe he's actually trying to eat better too, maybe is the key word here. But I did notice that I bought a bag of double stuffed oreos (his favorite snack next to ice cream) about a week or two ago and it's still in our cupboard partly eaten of course but usually he can eat a whole bag of those in less than 4 days. I think I'm on to some thing here, and he did eat his veggies last night too. Hmm I think there is some thing wrong with my husband, or maybe he's just come to the realization that he might actually need to eat good even if he will never get "fat" he'll be the "skinny fat" guy right? Isn't that a term used for unhealthy skinny people or did I just make it up? Well I think he's realized that that might be him some day since he is getting so old and all maybe he has gained some wisdom in eating healthy. I hope this trend lasts and I start eating better too, we'll see.

2 comments:

adrienne said...

I should try getting some edamame. My kids have had them before because you can get them at most Japanese restaurants. I like sushi, so I always get a cold cucumber noodle salad for Macartney and I have gotten her some of those too, but I should buy some at the store to try as well. Anything new I can try with my picky girl!
I think our girls weekend spoiled me... the kids are driving me crazy!

Katie L said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.