Friday, July 04, 2008

Feeling better
So I wanted to do a quick up date on the whole TMJ thing for those of you who care to know. I have been going back and forth to the Dr. and it is on the up hill now and hopefully it will stay that way. The last two weeks have been more like a roller coaster, with it's up days and down days but I feel like I will keep getting better.

We got the MRI results back and found that the disk wasn't damaged, no bones damaged, no ligaments torn or damaged, and the jaw was back in its right place, whew! That being said, all the pain I have now is all muscular. The MRI being so good means I will have a much shorter recovery, that this is much like a sprained ankle except it's a jaw sprain, I guess...So my recovery will be weeks in stead of months yay! I didn't realize I had so many muscles in my face/jaw area all of which are hurting and sore right now, but they are getting better. I still have limited motion in my jaw, I can't open it all the way but it's getting better. I can't do the side to side motion really well, today I can a little bit and that is an improvement from yesterday the last couple of weeks when I couldn't at all. The side to side motion is vital, especially when doing things like eating and talking, which you don't realize you need to move it side to side so much until you CAN'T. Yesterday I went in and saw the Dr. again and they did a steroid injection in through my mouth up to some vital muscles in my jaw to help with inflmation and I feel a ton better today, so it looks like that helped a lot. If I still can't open my mouth all the way by next week they'll look at doing another one but we'll see.
This whole thing has been crazy and at the same time I feel blessed. With us not having insurance it couldn't have happened at a better time. Since the Research Center caused it they are paying for all of this, but if this would have happened on it's own I don't know what we would have done money wise. So I feel blessed even though this has been hard to deal with at times. I have a wonderful hubby who took such good care of me, the kids and our home while I was at my lowest and I am so grateful to him for that. Isn't it crazy how we can see the good in all situations no matter how bad they seem to be, that is the beauty of our Heavenly Father's Plan for us.
Good news is I can eat a little more than I have been. The last two weeks I have hardly ate any thing and have lost a few inches nothing drastic and now that I can finally eat real food I just don't seem to have the appite for it and my stomach has shrunk so eating a small bowl of cereal this morning filled me to the top, it's kinda nice :)
Any way thanks to all my wonderful friends and family for the calls of concern, for helping watch the kids, for bringing me smoothies, you've all been so great I really am grateful for the good people in my life!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad that it is getting better. That is terrible...but I kinda wish it would happen to me. I would LOVE to lose a few inches!

Unknown said...

I really should stop clenching my jaw...
I'm trying to talk Tyler into taking the Saturday before my birthday off so we can go down to Indianapolis for the weekend...we will see if that can actually happen!

Katie L said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better!! Sorry I never commented before on this. What a crazy and horrible thing to have go through! If I lived close, I'd bring you Jamba Juice everyday-hahaha!