What I love about summer time
Although I don't think we will stay in this part of the country forever (we'll most likely leave after we are done with school) there are things I love about it here that I will for sure miss when we do leave. The summers here are hot and humid and I don't love that at all but there is something different and fun about the summers of the midwest. I love that every thing here is so green even during the hot summers, it because it is so humid here. I love going for an evening summer walk and hearing the cicada bugs in the trees. I don't know why, I guess because it was something new to me when we moved out here and it brings fond memories of our first summer in our new life in the midwest. The other thing I love about the summers is when the fire flies or lightning bugs which ever you prefer, come out. They are fun bugs to watch and catch, which I only first experienced this summer. A bug that's bum lights up, come on how can that not be fun?
Before we moved out here I told C I was so excited to see lightning bugs because I had never seen them in real life before and neither had he. C drove the long trip across the country and we waited until he had a place for us to live before me and E flew out to our new home. On his drive out he called me while at a rest stop and said "hey hun, guess what I'm looking at right now?" I replied I didn't know and he said "Lightning bugs, they are every where here." I know it sounds lame but it got me so excited to move out here and see them. It was so sweet that he gave me a call to tell me that he was looking right at them and they were real, not that I didn't believe they were real but he knew it would get me excited. So when I got here in mid-July of '06 we would look out in our yard to see the lightning bugs but they are only around for a short part of the summer when they light up and by the time I got out here they were pretty much done for the season. I was bummed. I saw maybe one or two that first summer here. The next summer we went back West and had a huge family cabin trip and again we were gone from June to mid-July, so I missed them yet again. I maybe saw a few that year and was bummed again. This year I was determined to not only get to see lots of lightning bugs but to really experience them and actually catch them. So when the first few started showing up in June we took our chance and let E stay up late with us in the evening to catch these fun little bugs. We had so much fun! E loved it and asks all the time if she can catch them again. Their season is pretty much over and we don't see a whole lot of them around our house these days but I'm glad we took the chance to actually experience them, it was so fun. C got a couple of good pictures of the ones we caught which is a lot harder than it sounds. As soon as we caught them (that part is not hard) they were more concerned about getting out of the jar than lighting up so to get good pictures of them was not easy.
Before we moved out here I told C I was so excited to see lightning bugs because I had never seen them in real life before and neither had he. C drove the long trip across the country and we waited until he had a place for us to live before me and E flew out to our new home. On his drive out he called me while at a rest stop and said "hey hun, guess what I'm looking at right now?" I replied I didn't know and he said "Lightning bugs, they are every where here." I know it sounds lame but it got me so excited to move out here and see them. It was so sweet that he gave me a call to tell me that he was looking right at them and they were real, not that I didn't believe they were real but he knew it would get me excited. So when I got here in mid-July of '06 we would look out in our yard to see the lightning bugs but they are only around for a short part of the summer when they light up and by the time I got out here they were pretty much done for the season. I was bummed. I saw maybe one or two that first summer here. The next summer we went back West and had a huge family cabin trip and again we were gone from June to mid-July, so I missed them yet again. I maybe saw a few that year and was bummed again. This year I was determined to not only get to see lots of lightning bugs but to really experience them and actually catch them. So when the first few started showing up in June we took our chance and let E stay up late with us in the evening to catch these fun little bugs. We had so much fun! E loved it and asks all the time if she can catch them again. Their season is pretty much over and we don't see a whole lot of them around our house these days but I'm glad we took the chance to actually experience them, it was so fun. C got a couple of good pictures of the ones we caught which is a lot harder than it sounds. As soon as we caught them (that part is not hard) they were more concerned about getting out of the jar than lighting up so to get good pictures of them was not easy.
4 comments:
The first time I ever saw a fire fly was 4 years ago in St. Louis. For those of us new to them, they are a really cool bug-it's like their almost magical.
Dang I want to see one...are they in IL?
I'm jealous...I've never seen a fire fly in real life. Do remember that stuffed animal that was a fire fly and lit up? I don't know why I just thought of that...Anyway, cool for you guys. I'll have to come visit next summer.
Cool! I have only seen fireflies once, in Minnesota. I wish they were over here in the west! What a neat thing for your kids to experience during their childhood! I'm so jealous of your fireflies!!!
Post a Comment