Happy Canada Day!

Yesterday was Canada Day and with my hubby being from Canada we felt the need to celebrate. I love that we as a family have the opportunity to celebrate both the great Countries in which we are from and in the same month too! Although my roots do not come from Canada I feel a special connection with this great Country not only because I married in to an amazing Canadian Family but also because of the wonderful people I have met from this Country, and because it is so beautiful there. If you haven't been to Canada believe me when I say it has it's own Beauty. Although my hubby's roots aren't from the U.S. I know he loves this country as well, it has given him the opportunity for school and that is some thing to be grateful for. I can't wait until our kids are older and understand why we celebrate both countries and I hope they learn to love both countries as we do. I have talked to E about where her grandma and grandpa live and where her Daddy is from and that it is a different country but she still doesn't quite understand what "a different Country" means. But when she hears some one say Canada she knows that is where Grandma and Grandpa live so she's starting to catch on.
So yesterday we had our good friends Josh and Sarah over for a nice dinner, that's pretty much all we did to celebrate but hey who doesn't love to celebrate with food?! Sarah is also from Canada and Josh is also from the U.S. so we have that in common with them. It's always fun to celebrate Canada Day and Canadian Thanksgiving with such good friends each year, we're lucky to be so close to them and have that opportunity each year. We pretty much just ate dinner and let the kids play and chatted for a while, it was fun! No fire works this time, we'll save that for the 4th. Like I said when the kids get older we'll probably do more and explain it to them.
Any way.... I just wanted to say a big HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!! to all you Canadians out there. I know I have some Canadian readers not all are C's family. I hope you all had a great celebration yesterday.
I didn't know much about Canada Day and wanted to know more so I looked it up and here is what I learned:
On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st. The July 1st holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day . It wasn't until about 1958 where the government arranged for there to be an annual observance of Canada's National Day, although the celebration mostly took place in the Nations Capitol. A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations all across Canada. In 1981, July 1st which was previously known as Dominion Day was officially changed to "Canada Day".
So there you have it... the short version of how it became known as Canada Day!
This is a metal sculpture of the Canadian Flag in the park Down Town from my home town. They had the Canadian and American flag sculptures right next to each other. I had my Mom take a picture of me (pregnant with J) and E in front of it for my in-laws. I don't know that I ever showed them this picture.
So yesterday we had our good friends Josh and Sarah over for a nice dinner, that's pretty much all we did to celebrate but hey who doesn't love to celebrate with food?! Sarah is also from Canada and Josh is also from the U.S. so we have that in common with them. It's always fun to celebrate Canada Day and Canadian Thanksgiving with such good friends each year, we're lucky to be so close to them and have that opportunity each year. We pretty much just ate dinner and let the kids play and chatted for a while, it was fun! No fire works this time, we'll save that for the 4th. Like I said when the kids get older we'll probably do more and explain it to them.
Any way.... I just wanted to say a big HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!! to all you Canadians out there. I know I have some Canadian readers not all are C's family. I hope you all had a great celebration yesterday.
I didn't know much about Canada Day and wanted to know more so I looked it up and here is what I learned:
On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st. The July 1st holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day . It wasn't until about 1958 where the government arranged for there to be an annual observance of Canada's National Day, although the celebration mostly took place in the Nations Capitol. A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations all across Canada. In 1981, July 1st which was previously known as Dominion Day was officially changed to "Canada Day".
So there you have it... the short version of how it became known as Canada Day!
3 comments:
Yaaaaaaayyy for Canada! I always told you that you had to marry a Canadian and I'm glad you did! Thanks for the shout out to our great country! We only celebrated with food, too, since I'm too pregnant to do anything else. Oh and the kids wore red and white. I love being able to celebrate both wonderful countries.
Hello. You are such a good writter K. I am trying to do better at blogging. It is good to see what you are up to.
And a big HAPPY CANADA DAY to you! That will be a neat experience for your kids! Michael and I are both just American mutts, with no other countries to celebrate. I am 1/4 Native American, and I guess that's something, right?!-hahaha! Oh, and food is the very best way to celebrate anything!!
Post a Comment