So we're pretty lame, I know.
Let me explain....We "celebrated" our 6th wedding anniversary this weekend (kind of).
We are not the mooshy smooshy, lovey dovey sentimental type of people.
We love each other very much we just aren't very public about it. I mean we hold hands or give a quick peck on the lips saying good bye in public but we just never have been the PDA type of couple and we like it that way.
We love recognizing our marriage anniversary every year but I guess we are in a place in our life that we can't afford to do a whole lot to celebrate it, so we do just that, recognize it as something special to us every year.
So we were kind of lame this weekend because all we really did was go to dinner to celebrate, just the two of us. Our friends were kind enough to watch our kids for us so we could spend a few hours alone with out them. Some may say it's lame, but that is just us for you. Simple and yet just what we wanted.
I guess it seemed kind of lame this year because our actual Anniversary was on Sunday, making it hard to actually go out on our anniversary. So Friday we went out on our date to celebrate our anniversary that was really on Sunday.
Sunday came and it was like "oh yeah Happy Anniversary to us." "Lets get ready for church, go to church, come home, make dinner, eat dinner, go outside before bed time, get kids ready for bed, put kids to bed.......we're tired, lets go to bed."
Like I said, we're lame :) but we like it that way!
So here's to us, and our wonderful happy six years!
And it really has been happy, all six years.
I know some of you may take this the wrong way but I will say this anyway...(this is my attempt at being sentimental in public, or at least for all to read)
I don't want to sound "braggy" or "better than anyone" because I know I am NOT better than anyone but I guess what I want to say is that what I have loved about our marriage is that we never had that "hard first year" that many say you will have. I know many people say that their first year or two of their marriage was the hardest, that they didn't know if they made the right choice by getting married. Well I am grateful to say that was not the case for us.
Now I won't lie and say we haven't argued or disagreed or been mad at each other, but I think what made our first few years great was that we worked through them together, never holding grudges and just working out the kinks and loving each other all along the way. But I can say, it was never hard to be married to my best friend. I can also say that having a child before our first year made things rough (in the parent department) but also making us more grateful for each other and the time we had together before we started our family and making us grateful for the time we had after the babies came along.
It has been easy to enjoy each other all these years because I think from the beginning we loved each other more than ourselves and isn't that what a marriage is all about?! Forgetting yourself and loving your spouse, it seems so simple and it was for us.
I love that I married my best friend. I love that it is easy for me to love him and that it is easy for him to love me, weird quirks and all!
So roll your eyes if you want. Say "yeah right" all you want. I don't really care.
But I know it's true and I know C knows it true. Looking back at our first two or three years of marriage I still smile. I have happy thoughts of living in a tiny one bedroom run down apartment on main street of Rexburg. I laugh about getting pregnant two weeks after being married. I some times smile at the thought that I gained 55 lbs. with that pregnancy and my sweet hubby still told me I was beautiful. I get butterflies of excitement still in my tummy when I see my husband's car come around the corner of our street heading home. I couldn't have asked for a better husband and father of our children. I am grateful for these wonderful six years I have had with C and I find joy in knowing I have eternity with the one Man I love.
So there you have it...this is as cheesy and sentimental as I get!
Monday, June 08, 2009
Here's to us
Posted by Kris at 9:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Congratulations!!! It is mine and Trevs 7th anniversary today!! He is at work and we celebrated this weekend, and have no plans for the actual day either. That is life with kids, I think he even forgot today, I barely remembered and I wished him a happy anniversary on his way out the door, he was like o-yah!! :) I love being married to my best friend, too!! Have a great day!! Holly
Love it! I don't think you are mushy at all. So happy for you... it's hard to find people that are so positive all the time about who they married. It is a gift and one that should be shared. On our anniversary a couple weeks ago my parents asked what we were going to do for it... I replied, "Uh, go to church." We are so in the same boat.
No hard first year with us either! We didn't have the stress of a baby though ;) Glad life is well for you both!
Post a Comment