Monday, April 12, 2010

So much to do, so little time....

This is what my frame of mind has been the last week or so....

"need to prepare for the baby, need to prepare for the baby, NEED to prepare for the baby."

I can't make it stop.

I feel this urgency to have things done and ready so there is no last minute rush to prepare for a new baby in the home. Although I am feel slightly last minute about it already.

Slowly but surely my "To Do" list I have, for before this little lady comes, is getting checked off. It feels good to see things getting done. Slowly but surely is the pace I must take it at, at this point.

One thing on my "to do" list is find a few names for this girl that both me and C really like and would possibly use. We do not name our babies before we meet them, but we do like to have a few that we know we like and would possibly use. Then when we look at her, we can try and put one of our names to her and see if it fits.

SOOOO, I need your help. I need some ideas of good baby girl names.

Here's the catch....we're kind of picky. I know I know, I can't ask for help and then tell you I'm picky, but I'm going to any way!

You see, both C and I are not one to follow trends so we steer clear of the very popular names. If you know our kids' names, you know it kind of seems like we are following a "biblical" theme, but we did not do that on purpose and have decided we are NOT going to continue that trend. So bible names are out, sorry!

I guess what I'm looking for is a good name, that people have heard of but that is not too common.....because that description fits both our kids' names right now.

See, I told you I was too picky.

BUT, I still am going to ask for help. I need more ideas and maybe you have thought of a good name that I just did not think of.

So, I would LOVE the help from my family (come on sisters, I know you have ideas) and all of you, my friends out there, or blog stalkers ;) who think you have a good name idea for this new little Harker girl, to share with me some of them, PLEASE.

I'll start: here are a few of my favorites (as of now, they seem to change often)
Autumn
Maggie
Corinne
Gretchen(C likes this one, I'm not sure about it yet)
Lana (I like this one but C, not so much)

So there ya go. Any other ideas?! Please help!

11 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

I like old names -- obviously. I really liked looking up the social security website for name popularity, (if you type it into a search engine, it will bring it up) for names that were popular in years past. All my girls' names were very popular in 1906. LOL! I think it's kind of a fun way to look up names that aren't like every other Kaylee or Kiara :) out there. :)

Zip said...

I just heard the cutest name the other day: Adalie. Though, it is a little bit on the "made-up" side of things if you ask me, between natalie and addie. but still very cute.

Leslie said...

I have a feeling you won't like any of the names I do :) but since I probably won't have any more kids, here's what I would have named my next little girl.... Lillie Hope. Hope is my Grandma's namesake and she calls me it all the time and I'm a little sad that I didn't use it the first time. Oh well. I also love Holland, Ava, Ruby, and Vivienne (Vivi for short). So cute... wish I had another girl :).... Good luck and whatever you choose - it will be perfect!

Adri said...

I like Maggie. :)

Kristin said...

My vote is definitely for Gretchen. Gretchen Harker sounds darling and it totally fits in with your family and if it were me choosing, that would be it. :) I'm sure the answer will come naturally.

Wendy said...

Um, I like Gretchen, so I don't think you should use it. :) If I tell you other names I like what will I use? Okay, I guess I can give you my 2nd choice ideas:
Julia--kind of common but still nice
Waverly--kind of out there but kind of pretty
Adelaide--pretty and a city in Australia
Penelope--Penny for short?
Clara--I really like this one

Okay, so that's all I got for now.


P.S.-I don't really like Autumn ( I think I knew a weird girl named that once) or Maggie (it just seems like a nickname).

Kris said...

Rachel, I've used the SS website LOTS and it does have lots of ideas, but nothing has "sparked".

Zip, I like it, Adalie. It's not too made up and people can pronounce it by looking at it, they wouldn't need to ask "Is this how you say it?" and I like that. Good idea.

Leslie, I like Ruby it's cute. Every time I say to E "do you think Ruby is a cute name for our baby?" She'll say "Yeah like on Max and Ruby!" (the bunny cartoon) ha haha.

I like Maggie too, but what could she go by when she's older if she doesn't like that it kind of seems like a little girl name? Mag? Meg?

If you come see me in the hospital Kristin, and we still haven't decided on a name, I'll let you name her whatever you want ;)

Yay, Wendy for being my first sister to give me some ideas! I think my favorite of yours is Clara. How do you say it "Claire-uh" or "Clahr-uh"? just curious. I like the first way.

I've kind of been liking Lana a lot but C was more like "eehh?". Pronounced "Lah-nu" and for her middle name Mae. Maybe I should spell it Lahna Mae Harker? Cute, no?

Thanks for the ideas guys, really I'm putting them down on the list :)

LMJ said...

K -

Have you thought about naming her something longer that you could shorten to Meg or Maggie? Not sure if you even like Meg, but just a thought; I know what you mean about making sure their name is both cute when they are small and as an adult. I LOVE Corinne - it has always been on my list. Gretchen is cute, too. I actually really like Autumn, too. A few other ideas: Riley, Caroline, Mallory (LOVE that one), Claire, Maren, Emily (could have E names for your girls? - I have a friend who has an Emily and they call her Emmy), Laine/Lainey, Amelia. You guys will come up with some great stuff. Maybe if you have a middle name in mind that will help narrow it down as well. Good luck!!

LMJ said...

p.s. I just saw what how you pronounced Lana (lah-nu). When I saw it I read it in my head as "laa (as in waaa, like a baby cry) nuh." Not sure if that makes a difference to you, and I saw you had that alternate spelling in your comments. I don't want you to think I don't like it - it is beautiful, I just have known people with that name and they pronounce it differently. OK I'm done - bye!

adrienne said...

Okay, so I know we talked the other day about names, but I wanted to comment about some of the other comments. I still really like Gretchen. And I think it would be totally cute with Mae and Harker. The other G name I was trying to think of when we were talking was Gisele, but that one definitely sounds like a tall blonde model. I love the suggestion of Ruby. Ruby Mae Harker is so adorable. I'm not crazy about Lana, but I like it better spelled Lahna, because I think the pronunciation is more clear. I still like Ivy and Lila. Some other ones I came up with are Lainey (someone else suggested that), Nora, and Willow (I thought since you like Autumn maybe you'd like it). If you go to Babycenter.com and look at the baby names it gives suggestions for names based on other names and it's not because they sound similar. I find it really helpful. I can't wait to find out what you pick when she arrives!!

Rachel Holloway said...

OKAY--SO girl names--I don't know if I will even be on target for what you're wanting...

but I will throw in a few I like either way.

Really like Ashlyn. And I like the suggestion for Adalie--very cute.

I think Maggie is cute too--

girl names really are so much easier, dang it! :)