Sibling Love!
I am the third oldest of 7 children. I was lucky enough to be considered one of "the big kids." When I was younger we lived in AZ, close to "our Cousins." I put "cousins" in quotes because they were "ours", they were all siblings from the same family and they were the same sex(male/female) and same age as each of us in our family (all but my youngest sister had a "cousin" in that same family, my Aunt stopped after six) and I had my "own" cousin my age. It was fun growing up with them and we have some good memories with them.
Like I said I was lucky enough to be considered one of the "big kids". Why is it that we felt the need to separate the big kids from the little? Well I'll tell you why, because we felt we had power, power to what? Torture, tease, and ultimately rule over the "little kids" telling them what they could and could not do with or with out us, and we had every right, we were, in fact, "the big kids"! I look back at things we did to "the little kids" and think how silly it was that we enjoyed torturing them so much. I'm pretty sure I was never the one to come up with the clever things we would tell the younger ones or do to them but I was always joining in, I guess I was a follower. When we moved up North away from "our cousins" my two older sisters and I remained "The Big Kids" and still felt the right to torture, tease and boss our youngest siblings around.
I distinctly remember me and my sister thinking of things to tell our little sisters, things that weren't true, but knowing we could convince them otherwise. We one time told them if we removed this board (which was just some loose scrape wood my dad had) in our unfinished basement that our whole house would fall to the ground with them in it. We then continued to give them commands telling them if they didn't do the things we said we would pull on this board and the house would fall on us. First of all, why would we pull the board and let the house fall on us the "big kids" too? Like we wanted to be crushed along with our sisters?! I don't think so! but they didn't think of that at first. I remember them doing things for us and then catching on quickly, we hated it when they finally caught on to our schemes. But the best part of that fun memory was that I remember them running out in to the back yard when we finally said we pulled the board down and watching my two little sisters drag the youngest sister still in her high chair out the back door, aahhh good times!
My point in bringing this up is that as an adult I came to realize this is how it always works in big families, well big or small families, I'm sure this is just the way it works. My Hubby's older brother always has stories about how he would torture C and his little brother. I love to hear them because I remember doing similar things to my younger siblings and it's just funny that my hubby was one of the "little kids" growing up while I was on the other end of the spectrum. The reason this is on my mind the last few days is because it has begun in my little family already and I only have two kids! Why oh why did I think this trend would end with my children, it won't end ever, it is a tradition that will be passed down, or learned I guess, by every generation. Am I right? How was it in your families? I could be wrong maybe we were just bad sisters to our younger siblings and maybe other siblings do get along but it seems more often than not, they have similar stories like mine.
E loves to torture J and he has dealt with it pretty good until recently. He has finally started to fight back and it's funny to watch. E is so funny because I can tell when she's thinking "Hmm what can I do to annoy/torture my little brother? maybe close him in a dark closet that he can't get out of by himself and leave him there until mommy asks where he is, yeah that sounds good." She really did that, several times actually. One time was the laundry room but it's as dark and small as some closets. But it doesn't stop there, I hear her barking commands at him telling him to pick up her toys because she's too tired, then telling him to go in the other room and get some thing for her. It just makes me laugh because she is only 4 and it has already started. I can't wait to add more children to this little mix and see what happens with more than just two, it'll be like a torture circus. I now feel sorry for my mom and dad putting up with us kids fighting all the time. I guess now it's pay back time!
This is me and my sister just younger than me when we were little, it's my favorite picture of us when we were kids, look how cute we are! Does E look like me?
This is me holding my next youngest sister. I think I was four years old in this picture. I have loved babies since I was just a little girl.
This picture is kind of creepy because they look like a couple but they're not, they are siblings. That's my little brother(I couldn't find a baby picture of him) and my little sister, not fair that they got all the "brown" genes!

12 comments:
HOLY BAJOLY! You and E look almost IDENTICAL! :) WOW!
Cute photos! I love your family!
Torturing of the younger siblings was always an ongoing thing when I was growing up. Thankfully I was was one of the older ones!
well being the youngest sibling i must say that i did get tortured by the older ones and i remember it! like when you guys dressed W and A like a bad guy and convinced us he was in our house and we were hiding in the basement! oh there are lots more. so yes i was one of the tortured ones.
I agree E is your twin! I went from one of the older ones who tortured to one of the young ones who got tortured with the addition of step- siblings and it STINKS to be the younger one...definitely preferred being the old one!
Ha ha! aahh Whit that is too funny I forgot about that one! Man there are too many,I have forgotten most of them. Well to all my sisters and/or cousins (if you read my blog) out there please leave a comment on a memory of either a story where we older one's tortured you or when you tortured one of the younger kiddos! This will be funny to see which one's I have totally forgotten.
How funny! I was the youngest so I didn't get to participate in the torturing of younger siblings but I'm sure I got the other end of it! I loved to see pics of your family - I can't believe how big your little brother is. I only remember him as a little boy!
Ah yes...we were so gullible. I have become wise since then and don't fall for it anymore. I do remember the board trick though. One of my favorites is when you guys got home from Jr. High earlier than Kim an I and you hid so we didn't know you were there. Then you set of the fire detector and waited to see what we would do. Of course the most logical thing to do was to go outside, stand on the corner and watch and wait for the house to burn. Haha. You are lucky we didn't call 911! Such a great story! I don't remember Whit's story there. Was I around?
OH MY HECK! That is your little brother!?????????????!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! Time is an amazing concept to me...kids grow and change and become adults...that is crazy!!!! And yes E looks EXACTLY like you when you were little! VERY CUTE!!!!!
You were such a cute little girl. I love cousins. I didn't grow up close to most of my cousins, so it is really important to me that my kids be close to their cousins.
Oh I can think of a few good stories. I don't really feel like we were tortured more than just tricked! And let me tell you Allie and I were very gullible children. One time you guys told us 7/11 gave everything in the store out for free at 7:11am. And of course I believed you, but thought it was too early to get up and go... One time Allie and I wore the same outfit and tried to convince Whitney we were the other person. (I was always small for my age so we were the same size.) It didn't work out so well. She is much smarter than she appears...or maybe our difference in complexions gave it away.
Ha ha ha! Allie I love that one of the fire alarms, I love that you stayed out there till mom came home and asked what you guys were doing! Ha! too funny one of my favorites!
And kim I loved that you two were so gullible, it made it that much more easy and fun for ange and me! I do remember the 7/11 one.
I don't remember the one with you and alli dressing up a like, that's a good one, we taught you well whit is just too smart!
The only torture I remember getting from Wendy is when we'd play "school" with her and she would actually give us home work and make us do it and if we didn't she sent us to the principals office, that was TORTURE! Ever kids plays school for fun not for real home work but I think Wendy didn't catch on to that, we all knew she'd be a teacher some day :)
Post a Comment