Friday, March 13, 2009

Oh what a day it was!

Oh what a day it was yesterday! I could type a huge long thing about why it was a crazy day but I think I will just tell you the high light of it.

I got home around 11pm from a girls night out at Applebee's and didn't get into bed until close to Midnight. Just as I was about to fall asleep I hear the most horrible cough I've ever heard! I sounded more like a bark.

I thought it was E since she has been coughing for several days now and I actually took her to the Doc that day to get her checked out. I also thought it was her because J seemed to be perfectly healthy at bed time.

Then I hear more "barks" and gasps for air. I get up to go get E, but find that it is coming from my J boy. I grab him and take him down stairs where he continues to gasp for air, cough, gag and gasp for air some more.

I'm starting to freak out by this point because he just can't breath. I yell for C to come down stairs. We start up the nebulizer hoping this will help him breath. It calmed him down a little so he could kind of catch his breath but he can't stop coughing and his breathing is still difficult. I start to freak out even more.

There was nothing I could do to help him breath. I wanted to just make him breath, but I sat there helplessly watching my baby gasp for air, I could do nothing to help him.

I hate the feeling of helplessness, and there is nothing worse than feeling that feeling when it comes to your kids. It was awful!

I ask C to give him a blessing and then decide we will go to the ER.

After he finished the blessing, we woke up E and all piled in the car and headed to the ER at almost 1am.

When I woke up E she was all excited. For some reason she thinks it is so fun to wake up in the night and go some where. It is exciting but not the good kind of exciting.

Any way...
To make this long story shorter....We get to the ER and I kid you not our visit there was LESS than 15 minutes! I'm totally not exaggerating! It was the quickest ER visit in the history of ER visits, ever!

I knew he had Croup, I just knew it. But didn't know what they did for it. All I knew was that my boy couldn't stop coughing this nasty bark cough and he couldn't catch his breath.

So when we get to the Hospital and it takes less than two minutes to get him checked in and see the nurse. Then we get ushered to our room. So far we're under four minutes. Literally two more minutes later the Doctor comes in and says "I heard his cough from the waiting room and he has croup..." she says all this while checking his breathing etc. etc. and then she continues to tell us what croup is, gives him a steroid to help him stop coughing and prescribes us the drug, all this took less than four minutes and then they kick us out. It was AMAZING! I wish all ER visits were that fast.

We got to the ER at 10 after 1am and we were in the car on the way back home from the ER at 1:25am! Amazing! I think the longest part of the visit was the kids picking out which stickers they wanted.

We didn't get to bed until after 2am and my dear kids decided to wake up at 7:30am. Nice.

I'm exhausted.

We are ALL taking naps today.

The kids are grumpy.

I don't know how much longer I will last before these two drive me totally crazy today.

My house is a mess, it looks like a bomb went off it in and I don't really care!

I need sleep.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.
Signing off.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

At times like this I wish I was there to help you out and "save" you from tough times but...
Glad J is feeling much better this morning.

Breanna said...

oh, I HATE croup! Landon had it in December and it is extremely terrifying. We were up all night with him going inside and outside, in a hot shower and out... anytime he would lay down he would start again. Oh, I hope it gets better as fast as it did for us. The steroids worked wonders!