My sister put up a post on her blog of a funny video that got me in the mood for Les Miserables also known as Les Miz.
A little some thing about me and my family you may not have known...
We LOVE Les Miz! My Mom is some what obsessed, but not in a freaky way, I swear. But who can blame her it has awesome music in it!
It has been a while since I've listened to the Music of Les Miz and so I of course "Youtubed" it. I was listening to the music having fun flashbacks to my childhood/teenage years of my family singing Les Miz (we are not great singers by the way) as my hubby walks in and asks "What are you listening to?" my response "WHAT! You don't know Les Miz?!" How can my hubby not know I love Les Miz? Has it been that long since I've listened to it? How is that my hubby of almost six years knows little about the fact that the Weathers Family loves Les Miz?!
Continuing with my childhood flashback.....
I have never seen the production of Les Miz but I will before I die, I swear to you I will and I will probably be going with my mom since my hubby doesn't really care much about musicals :) But since I was a young girl we have had the music of Les Miz shouted through out the walls of our home, literally shouted. My Mom would walk around the house singing....
"RED! The blood of angry men. Black! The dark of ages past...."
and
"Do you hear the people sing singing the songs of angry men, it is the music of the people who will not be slaves again...."
and
"I dreamed a dream in time gone by..when hope was high and life worth living...."
And many more! My Mom loved and still loves the music of Les Miz.
I remember several Saturdays as we were all whining about the chores we had to do Mom would put on Les Miz and blast it on our stereo and we'd all go about the house singing it while working. We did not go on any road trip with out Mom's full set of Les Miz cassette tapes, yes I said cassette tapes, although she now has the full CD set and next she will have them on her MP3 player when she finally catches up to the rest of the world. (she has always been a little behind on technology) As we drove across the country we would sing as a family the music of Les Miz. Some times we'd all sigh and say "Not Les Miz again Mom!" But I think deep down we all really liked it.
Well my Mom's brain washing worked on most of the family, as we all love Les Miz. Some of us siblings more than others but we all have fond memories connected with Les Miz and my Mom.
So as I sit here listening to Les Miz, longing for the day I will be able to see a live production, I fondly think of my childhood of shouting Les Miz with my family not caring how bad we sounded just that we loved it, we loved each other and most of all we loved our Mother.
I love Les Miz for more than just the music but for the memories it brings back to me.
Friday, March 27, 2009
Flash Back Friday
Posted by Kris at 10:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
YES! Ohhh the memories. I still listen to Les Miz on road trips. I have the whole thing on my ipod. You forgot, "I know a place where no one cries. Crying at all is not aloud. Not in my castle on a cloud." Classic. Simply classic.
In junior high my bff and I were obsessed with les mis as well. On a school trip we listened the entire musical on the bus there and back. And we were constantly singing the songs. The one I remember most is when Eponine is dying and one of would be Eponine and the other Marius. We were so embarrassing. We read the book at the same time and would talk about it everyday. Then we went on a trip with our moms to see it in Spokane. It was awesome. Anyway - I think I have the CD's if you ever want to burn them. :)
never read the book or seen it or even heard it....guess I should check it out huh, I'm starting to feel deprived!
Les Miz and road trips how can you have one without the other? Have you ever listened to the Forbidden Broadway parody songs of Les Miz? Some of them are on Youtube. There's "10 More Years" set to "One More Day" and "This Song's Too High" set to "Bring Him Home" and a couple of other ones. They are pretty funny if you know the original songs.
Funny that you'd make a whole post on Les Mis. I was dying to watch the show but rented one without music. I knew there was music to go along with the story!
Did we ever listen when we were roomies?? We must have, because I had the box set and I love it as well! That's funny that C didn't know it. Denver LOVES Les Miz. It is hilarious when he gets on kicks of listening to it. He'll walk around the house belting it out. I've seen it 4 times now. And I will see it every chance I get!
Kim,
I remember "Castle on a cloud", I liked that one the best because it was a little girls singing it, I always pretended I was her.
Adri,
I think it is funny you were obsessed with it, sounds like my Mom. And yes, can I borrow your CD's please.
Jess
You need to hear the music! You would like it, I think.
Wendy,
I tried to find the forbidden Broadway songs of les miz on youtube but only found one. You'll have to find some of the other ones for me, they sound funny.
Joy,
My post wasn't supposed to be about Les Miz, but the memories that come with it as I said at the end of the post
"I love Les Miz for more than just the music but for the memories it brings to me."
It's interesting to me what brings a family together and what people have memories of when growing up. I'm sure there are things that bring back memories to you about your childhood, Mine so happens to be Les Miz. You need to hear the music that is the best part of the story.
Adrienne
Oh I'm sure we listened to it at together while at school. If I saw you had the music I would have wanted to listen to them. That is funny that Denver loves it! But I can picture him belting it out, sounds like him. I'm so jealous you've seen it 4 times! Some day.
Oh! My favorite memory of Les Miz is when I think it was you, Kim, and me, and we in the car and were each singing different parts. Some of the songs/words we didn't know, but we would still sing. Then there would be swear words and we would accidentally "sing" them. Yes, good times!
Allie,
Ha ha ha, that was totally us laying in the back of the car (with no seat belts on) singing the different parts and pretending like we knew all the words. I remember Kim and I were girls and you had to be a boy, I think. And it was totally awesome that we could swear cause it was in the music and Mom let us listen to it so it was ok, right?!
so funny! I had no idea!! I've never been connected to a show in that kind of way, but growing up, whenever my parents went to see a show, they would buy that particular soundtrack and then listen to it nonstop for months. I have Camelot, Phantom, Cats,and other musicals perminantly embedded into my brain and memories-hahaha!
Post a Comment