Yesterday evening Eden got out my scriptures which she is never really allowed to play with them because in the past she has torn out pages, wrinkled pages, and maybe even written on a few of my old ones which I was not happy about and which is why I had to get new ones. Any way she got a hold of my new scriptures and was searching through them. I asked her "what are you doing?” She said that she was looking for some thing. I said “those are my scriptures, you need to be careful with them. Do you want me to read some thing to you from them?” hoping that would help me get them away from her “Yay!” she said all excited. So I asked her what she wanted me to read and she kept searching through them and opened up to the Bible Dictionary to The Law of Moses. Hmm oookay! So I started reading it a little and she began to laugh and said “mom what are you saying?” I told her that is what she picked out, so then she says “No I just want to see the pictures, you know of the worlds.” aka the maps and the other pictures in the back. So we find the ones in the back of The Book of Mormon and we locate our state in which we live, since we are close to a lot of the church history sites, and she thought that was cool. Then she found the new set of pictures in the back that are only in the new scriptures, the ones of our church history sites like: Carthage jail, Kirtland Temple, Far West Temple site, Joseph Smiths house, Peter Whitmer’s house and some other houses and things all having to do with the Church’s History. Any way she liked looking at those and said “mommy I want to live in this house okay," "umm sweety that is Carthage jail." she then says pointing to another picture "okay this one then…” and on and on then she came to the picture of the Sacred Grove and she gasped with excitement and in awe said “Ohh mommy what is this place!” I said “That is the Sacred Grove isn’t it beautiful?” “Oh yes mommy it is.” I then asked her if she knew what the Sacred Grove was, she responded that she did not, so I simply said “Did you know that this is the exact place where Joseph Smith the Prophet knelt down as a boy and prayed to know what church he should go to, and did you know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him and answered his prayer?” (for any one reading that is not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or also known as "The Mormons" and have no idea what the whole sacred grove is about or even the Mormon church and would like to know more click here for a good reference.)
Going on....She then said the most sweet and innocent thing ever, it was so cute and I could feel God’s presence near and I knew she knew this was a special place, I knew she could feel some thing, she said… “Mommy I want to go there and pray too!” I almost broke out in tears and said “ya me too sweet heart, me too!” Oh it was just so sweet! We are going this month! Well maybe not this month, but we have to go. I know she's young now and may not remember much but we are so close and I just want to take advantage of that while we're here so close to all the church history sites.
I love having kids! Some times I forget why we are told to "become as little children." I think I get caught up in just being a mom and taking care of their needs that I forget to listen to them and to be more like them.
Here is the whole scripture I referenced above
[Matt 18:1-4] "At the same time came the desciples unto Jesus saying, Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Veriyl I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little Children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as a little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
I love that scripture. I am blessed to be able to witness little things almost daily that remind me why this scripture is so important. Well any way, I just wanted to write this little story down before I forgot.
4 comments:
What a wonderful story!! E sounds like such a sweetheart!! Sometimes when I'm reading my scriptures on the couch, Calvin will ask me to read them outloud. He'll then run back and forth from his room so he can play and listen. I wish I could figure out a way/learn to be like a child and have more faith and eagerness to learn about our gospel too. It's is so easy to get caught up in "grown up" stuff and hard to humble myself and open up my mind and heart to discover new mysteries of our gospel.
What a cute little girl!!!!!!:) it's amazing all the teaching opportunities we have with our children...like you said sometimes we get caught up in the routine and we forget to listen and talk to our little one, they are so willing to learn and absorb everything!!!! What a priceless moment!
Oh how sweet. I loved that story. What a sweet little girl she is.
that was so cute, i read it to ben and i swear he "glazed" a little. E has always had a special place in our hearts. she is such a good girl which shows us what fantastic parents you are. thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment