Friday, May 09, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I love that I have friends here that are in the same boat as me and my family, by that I mean friends that have hubbies in school still.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about let me explain and for those of you who do just skip this part. My hubby is in Dental School, his first year, although we've been out in this area for two years. We live in a community of town houses where there are literally a dozen or so "student families" living here. Our ward (church) we are in is filled with several more "student families" we are all either Dental,Law and even a couple of Med "student families."

so going on with my post...
It's nice for us wives to have that support group. I don't know what we would do with out each other some times. Right now first year for C has been good, he has not been gone away from home a ton but still it has been a big change for us. So it's nice to be able talk with the other wives about what next year will bring, or the third or fourth year will bring to mine and my hubbies lives. It's like I get a peek into my future, it's nice to know that second year I won't hardly see my hubby and that third and fourth year is a lot better as far as Daddy being home goes. I love that we can all go through the same thing together and be happy together and cry together, we are all close. Even if we aren't best friends it's nice to know that I can run over to so-and-so's house and they most likely will say "come on in" and I can chat, it's nice to know although we don't "hang out" every day we are all so accepting of each other, because we already have one huge part of our lives in common.

So my main reason for this post is I've been thinking why this situation is some times hard, I think the only bad thing about this whole situation we're in, is the goodbyes we have to say every year around May to those who graduate and move on. They move on to actually, really, truly start their lives and I'm happy for them. I'm glad I was able to get to know many of them but it's hard to say good bye for more than one reason: One being that I'm slightly jealous and wish I was at that point in our life, but two, and the most important reason it's hard say goodbye is because it's to friends you've gotten to know so well, friends you've watched get huge and pregnant and then see their babies and when they leave they aren't babies any more, friends that watched your kids when they didn't even really know you at the time and you needed some one and they were willing, friends that you would do things for and they would in return do things for you, no questions asked, friends who are there for you to just cry with when you can't handle your kids any longer, friends to show you around the new area, friends that were just there any time you needed to get out of the house and be with another adult. As I was realizing how it has been kind of hard for me to say goodbye I realized that they, who are moving on, are having just as hard of a time saying goodbye as all of us, if not more so.
This year seems different it seems like there are a lot of families that won't be moving until later in the summer or fall but I still get to thinking about them not being in the ward or around the corner from me and it makes me sad. I know we'll try to keep in touch but we are all so busy it just won't be the same.

So to all you families moving on whether it be tomorrow or in the fall whether we were super close or not I want to say.....

Thank you- I'm sure you've done some thing for me or my family, even if it was just chatting with me or babysitting once or twice or many more times ;)
Good luck- Life will change and it's always hard for something new in life even if it's a good something, good luck with what comes your way.
Keep in touch-many of you will be in the area so please keep in touch and for those who are leaving us far away please keep in touch as best you can too.
For those who won't be close by we'll miss you and your family, whether we were really close friends or not it seems like when people leave there is always that feeling of loss of friends in the ward, you will be missed!

I'm so grateful for the friendships I have made while making this crazy journey. I'm such a sap when it comes to these things. Some thing to know about me and you can ask my mom, all growing up I realized it was a good thing to have good friends, to develop good friendships in life and to be true to them. I've always been as loyal of a friend as I could be because I cherish my friends and try to make them lasting friendships, I guess I try not to take having friends for granted. So I guess, to get to know good people every year and then have to say goodbye is always hard on me. I really am going to be a bawl baby when it's finally our turn to move on, oh well at least I know it :)

I think every life experience comes with good and bad parts and if the bad is only having to say goodbye once a year for four (well five for me) years then I guess that isn't too bad of a bad thing (if that made any sense??) things could be worse it what I'm trying to say! So here it is, my official goodbye.... Goodbye "4th years" and "3rd year Law" you will be missed!

5 comments:

Katie L said...

What a nice post! You said it well! This is one of the main reasons why Michale and I have almost refused to make an effort to meet new people and make friends in the Rexburg area- because everyone moves away. You only get to be friends for a year, or so, then they leave. It is hard to get emotionally connected to families that will not be around next year. Calvin has a best friend (Isaac) who is moving this month, and he is heartbroken. It is wonderful for families to be moving on to bigger and better lives, but hard to say goodbye!

Kris said...

I totally understand how you would want to hide out and not make friends Katie because of the whole saying goodbye thing. I think there are some people that do that, and that's okay. I think for me though I'm glad I didn't do that in Rexburg or here because I have made some amazing friends through out our married years in The Burg and here and I wouldn't trade them for the world, even if it meant saying goodbye several times over!
I have some good friends here that are so fun to be around and their kids are the same age as my kids and it breaks my heart to hear E say she doesn't ever want to be far away from her BFF abut I know some day it will probably happen, but I'm so glad for this experience for our whole family, I think I have grown so much from knowing so many different people. As hard as it is I look forward to the new arrivals so that I can make more friends.

Okay I'm done blabbing. I thought I said it all in my post apparently not :)

Katie L said...

Good point- I am glad to have shared great times with certain friends here, before they have moved on.

Adri said...

Um...I hope this post doesn't apply to me. Because you do know you're coming over to my house everyday when I move. :) Plus, Myleigh might shrivel up and die without her bff around (and me too!).

Kris said...

Adri
I know you'll be close and all but still. I won't be able to walk out my door and come say hello, it's just not going to be the same. My kids will for ever step out the door and immediately ask for Myleigh and Will, and it'll be hard on them but me too! I'll have to make effort to drive some where just to see you ;)
E the other day was talking about Abigail moving and then I told her that in a few years we will most likely move away too, and she got so sad and teared up and said but momma I don't ever want to move away from MY myleigh! She was so sincerely sad it broke my heart! I didn't know what to tell her so we might just end up here for ever :) We'll see.